Re: [Epic] EPIC40k Rumor (Control)

From: King Mob <heresy_at_...>
Date: Fri, 7 Feb 1997 10:54:22 -0600 (CST)

On Fri, 7 Feb 1997 duckrvr_at_... wrote:

> At 09:16 PM 2/6/97 -0600, you wrote:
>
> >The new bases will _not affect CC because you will only be allowed to gang
> >up on a regular infantry or vehicle with a maximum of _two_ units. It
> >doesn't matter how they touch or where they touch, you only get 2 max.
>
> This is silly. I realize there are space and sighting limitations in close
> quarters, however, you can manage a little better than 2:1. Besides, as
> they've pointed out, 3 stands doing close range supporting fire will
> definitely keep the bad guys heads down while the fourth flanks to assault
> through. No matter how many pictures they draw of it, the company commander
> standing in the midle of a hail of fire while troops are in hth all aoround
> him is still an idiot. Get Down! If he stands there, he's dead. If you
> cover him with so much firepower he can't leave the tiny patch of cover he
> did find, then he is a grenade waiting to happen. Close quarters combat is
> won by superior firepower and violence of execution, nothing else. Both are
> in the CAF, but firepower is easily raised by sheer numbers. One of the
> worst things about GW's design department is that everything has to be
> horribly, hand-to-the-forehead-swooningly dramatic and damn the realities of
> life. You know what 5 guys (one stand) being over run by 20 guys (4 stands)
> do? One of two things - surrender or die (assuming the 20 aren't
> incompetent). Stupid, stupid, stupid, Stupid, Stupid, STUPID, STUPID!!
> WHAAAAAARGH!!!!

This is Rumor Control and these are the facts....

Ah, but the new rules _do_ take into account close range firepower. All
units within a certian range of the CC will be counted as a bonus to the
combat resolution. One roll is made per combat to decide the overall
winner, then you proceed to roll for each unit in base-to-base combat to
see if it survives. The losing side is then immediately broken and must
fall back. There is also an overrun rule (a la WHFB) where a broken det.
within a certain distance of the enemy is destroyed.

So in your example the surrounded unit will lose combat because of the
massive bonus given by the sheer numbers of units surrounding it (not in
base-to-base contact). Even if the commander survives the two chances in
CC to destroy it, it must then fall back and if it can't get out of range,
it is destroyed... no roll, no save. (Well certain units do have a 4+
save, the army commander being one of them.)

Paul R. Tobia _O_
"What good is science if no one |
gets hurt?" - Chrome Dome

http://falcon.cc.ukans.edu/~heresy