RE: Support Weapons (was Re: [Epic] Squat 40K List)

From: Brett Hollindale <agro_at_...>
Date: Tue, 11 Nov 1997 10:25:46 +0100 (MET)

At 12:13 AM 10/11/97 -0600, you wrote:

>hmm. I like all the extra "flavor" for these units.
>One of the things i really like about e40k is that all the races different
>weapons are now closely related, no more of the SM/TL stuff of _every_
>weapon having a different to hit/save mod/"special effect".

Wow. You would really have loved first edition. You had a "choice" of two
"races" - Space Marines or (Chaos) Traitor Marines. There were no daemons,
each side had exactly the same equipment. Each race's tac stand was
identical to every other races tac stand, every race's transports were the
same as every other race's - you get the picture.

The wonderful diversity of SM/TL was a breath of fresh air - and the giant
leap backwards that is E40K - well, by now I think everyone knows my opinion
of E40K...

Agro

>Now a AT shot
>for marines acts the same as a AT shot for eldar. F.P. from a Ork is the
>same as F.P. from the Bugs. This is the good type of simplification that
>occurred in e40k, along with the best set of combat rules to come from the
>GW staff yet.(still room for improvement, though)
>
>where this "make it simple" design theory ran amok was with the army
>lists, and with the conversion of SM/TL units into e40k terms
>
>I thought i hated the old army cards, but now i almost miss them.
>they gave a better balance,or "fluffy" feel to them. With e40k i see a lot
>more Min/Max Munchkin crap like a 20 stand Termie + 10 L.R. SM "army"
>
>e40k got SO simple that Squats and Knights went "poof" and the Ork Clans
>and vehicle list are but a pale shadow of what had made the Orks, "Orky"
>and the loss of many Titan weapons and upgrades just sucks. The eldar got
>simple by changing the look of almost every vehicle they had
>(I like the "cheese wedge" and "steam iron" look of the old minis)
>
>This is what has hurt e40k- old players felt like their favorite army
>was screwed, and would not play the new game, period.

That isn't the whole story, but it certainly did annoy a lot of folks...