Re: [Epic] Overwatch and Some Random Comments

From: Scott Shupe <shupes_at_...>
Date: Wed, 12 Nov 1997 13:32:31 -0500

Erik K. Rutins wrote:

> > The "10 Land Raiders with support" line is a pain, as you so rightly
> > surmised. In fact, it's a tactical problem that will bias the
> > composition and troop choice of any Imperial opponent.
> > There are a number of ways to deal with it, though.
>
> Well, first off it was 7 Land Raiders with 4 Dreadnoughts, 5 Termies, 1
> Captain, 1 Librarian if you want the exact detachment.

        FTR, I wasn't trying to bring Erik to task for a cheesy
army (he's already gone through that with the mixing IG/SM thing
anyway =). I was just describing a tough combo that I hadn't
faced before, one that I handled poorly, in the hopes that others
will not make the same mistakes that I did. Remember kids, if you
see lots of termies & LRs, run away! disrupt like crazy! then
ignore!

> > c) Stay out of 45cm range in the shooting phase, then assault with
> > fast-moving transports carrying jump-pack or fast infantry. Even
> > + Assault Marines can manage 25cm + (depending on your reading (10-5)
> > 3 or 15cm or (10)*3 - 5 or 25cm. Tyrannids can do something similar,
> > Eldar can do this and more
>
> He did get into assault with this detachment with berzerkers and
> flamers.

        Correction: flamer. Or maybe there were two left at that
point... that detachment didn't last long...

> The flamers had also been pounded by a flanking detachment of
> six predators and the final two land raiders in the center (chapter
> master and bodyguard). He ended up with a +1 for more assault. I had
> +1 for psyker (shot his lord of change before the assault phase), +1 for
> fewer blast markers, +1 for him having 5+ blast markers. I was at +2
> and rolled a 6 on the die. My luck was hot. If not for that roll the
> detachment would probably have at least been cut down to size during
> that close combat.

        I still wouldn't have killed much, thanks to the termies'
save and the fact that I had to fight them first since they were in
front. But pushing you back would have been nice...

Scott Shupe
shupes_at_... shupes@... http://www.rpi.edu/~shupes
"Stupid f**king words!" - Fugazi