Re: [Epic] New Eldar Minis & WD

From: Scott Shupe <shupes_at_...>
Date: Fri, 14 Nov 1997 14:58:16 -0500

Andy Skinner wrote:

> Scott Shupe wrote:
> > Of all the old armies, the eldar probably had the best looking range
> > of vehicles (the falcon was ugly, but that was it). Now half the range
> > looks great and the other half just looks stupid.
>
> I'd have to see some of the new ones "in person". I've only seen
> them on the GW web site, which has pictures of all the Eldar and
> Tyranid miniatures. I like 'em OK. But I regret the drastic change,
> too.

        I think the biggest disapointment, for me, were the flyers.
The designs are just... boring. They could have done so much more.

> > As for White Dwarf, is anyone actually buying this every month
> > regardless of whether or not it has new rules pertaining to the games/
> > armies you play? If so, why?
>
> I was worried that they were going to tempt me to get these with
> new Epic releases, but I haven't gotten any recently. I'm not a
> fan of the fate cards, anyway, and I didn't get the Empire ones
> when they came out, and I'm not planning to get the new ones. I'm
> not excited about hearing GW's tactics, or to see the armies designed
> by GW staff.

        Ooog. I hated those articles. "See Adrian Wood's army!"
Why should I care? "Let me tell you why dreadnoughts are so great!"
Uh, no thanks. When they switched to the bigger format, I thought
the features they were adding were a great idea - especially the Q&As
(which have stopped for some reason) and the modelling articles.
But the good stuff got quickly phased out for heavily padded
interviews that go nowhere, studio members talking about how they
built their armies, articles extoling the virtues of infantry/tanks/
whatever in an obvious attempt to get you to buy those models (just
once I'd love to see in a WD article someone saying, "Yeah, this
sucks, don't ever actually use it"), more and more ads, etc. The
latest issue in the US was almost nothing but pictures.

> The morale counter wasn't enough to whet my appetite.

        What's this? I must have missed that one.

> They did get me with 2 Citadel Journals, though.

        Well sure. The CJ actually has content.

Scott Shupe
shupes_at_... shupes@... http://www.rpi.edu/~shupes
"You can't throw me to the lions! I'm Charlton Heston!" - Lard