Re: Sv: [Epic] AT shots

From: J. Michael Looney <mlooney_at_...>
Date: Sun, 16 Nov 1997 19:10:07 -0600

Jon Nielsen wrote:

> How about:
> A unit with an AT shot may choose it's target. However, it
> must shoot at the closest target of any particular type.
> This means: A unit with an AT shot is facing two Falcons,
> one Wave Serpent, a guardian unit and an Adspect Warrior
> stand with a Warlock (this stand is standing in the back of the
> det.). The unit can shoot at: The closest Falcon,
> the Wave Serpent or the closest of the infantry stands
> (the guardians). It cannot shoot at the other falcon or the A.W.
> stand. This will prevent silly things like targeting enemy leaders
> or psykers who are in a group. This is the rule in WH40K; you
> must shoot the closest target within a group. If you can't
> distinguish a character in 28mm scale, then you sure
> as hell can't do it in 6mm scale!!!!
> Comments anyone?

<rant>
Just because WH40K has a moronic, ignorate, silly, nay, even EVIL rule
doesn't mean that Epic 40K should have it. The whole "you can't tell the
leaders in the heat of battle" argument is, at best, flawed, and at worst
leads to the dreaded GW's gamers disease of "cheap screening troops", which
is, a tactic, the WORST thing I have ever heard of in ANY wargame.

While I can, have and do have problems with the army lists of Epic 40K and
have a little (well, ok major) problems with one basic game
mechanic/staticts (the over all small arms/AFV/Artillery gun range ratio),
and as such have written "house rules" to cover these errors of ommison in
the game system, I do NOT feel that ANY of the basic game systems need to be
tweeked.
Point the first:
 If you are assuming that the GW's own models have ANY relation to what the
"real" leader types look like, spotting them at GW game ranges is NOT that
hard. They are the ones with the 2-5 meter tall banner sticking up over
their heads.

Point the