Re: [Epic] Net Epic

From: Philip Charlton <philipc_at_...>
Date: Mon, 10 Feb 1997 17:01:12 +1100 (EST)

> 1-Bring back the voluntary fall back orders? if so please define why

Can't see this as being necessary.

> 2-broken refers to a unit that has suffers casualties in excess of the
> breaking point, by the opinions thus far I gather that it is desired
> that these units move as before in the movement phase and these units
> may still hold on to objectives. For those who agree with this premise,
> what is the difference between a broken unit and one on fall back orders
> and why do the former get to hold to the objectives and the later.
> Opinions/comments please!

Fall back orders are for units that have failed a morale test in the end
phase - they are actually on "run away!!" orders :) so they shouldn't be
able to hold objectives. "Broken" units that have passed their morale check and
are still organised enough to be given orders other than "fall back", shoot,
fight in CC etc and hold objectives.

> Also as the rules stand mostly imperial troops and maybe squats have
> HQ's that offers morale bonuses.Other armies mainly orks and eldar dont
> have this luxury(not necesarily bad just a comment).

Well, they have compensating features. Eldar are comparatively good morale,
so they will usually rally on their own. Orks are very difficult to break in
the first place (assuming you max out on extra boyz), so if they are
broken at all then usually there will be
so few stands left that they wouldn't be able to do much good anyway.
Do Warlords help the Orks morale? What about Gargant Gork & Mork heads,
don't they do something?

> What rumors have reached us of Epic 40k suggests a combat/ morale
> resolution similiar to 40k's where the loser makes morale checks and if
> fails falls back. In our case probably it is simpler that once the unit
> breaks and fails morale to retreat the broken force at the moment of the
> break. Opinions please!

Surely it's simpler to leave it as it currently stands, that is, in the end
phase, check if a company or detachment is broken, roll for morale, then
immediately place "fall back" orders if it fails. Only *then* should
objectives be calculated, ignoring any units on "fall back" orders.

> I foresee difficulties in resurrecting the fall back orders unless
> someone can suggest workable rules that dont mimic or can be reproduced
> with a simple charge order.

Well, units with "fall back" orders cannot move toward the enemy, cannot
shoot (I think...) and suffer CC penalties. This makes fall back *quite*
different from charge.

Philip