Re: [Epic] Net Epic

From: Michael the Liu <mikethel_at_...>
Date: Mon, 10 Feb 1997 02:12:28 -0600 (CST)

>> > I suggest that movement regarding broken
>> > units be taken immediately upon breaking.

>> I think all movement should be done at the same time. Just say that units
>> on "fall back" orders don't count for holding objectives. I have a faint
>> suspicion this might be in the TL rules, anybody know?

>Not that I found (I checked briefly). But I like the idea.

I like the way it is right now: keep it simple. I _strongly_ dislike the
idea of breaking up movement. There's a movement phase, and that's what its
for, regardless of whether or not you're falling back. I can imagine a few
situations where them moving away would be an advantage, not a disadvantage,
and if that saved an opponent of mine from defeat I would be extremely
annoyed. For example, if I broke one of his units, and the rest of his unit
moved away out of range of my guns only to rally later on and come back to
haunt me.

Also, with regards to the cowering in basement troops are still holding the
objective that someone brought up earlier: Sure, they happen to be in the
building at the time, but their primary concern is not to be holding
anything, it is to be running away. Under the objective rules (if we keep
those), anyone close enough to be contesting the objective would almost
certainly be forcing the fallback unit to be running away as well, and as
such the unit in the basement is going to be running away through/past the
building. I hardly call someone running past an objective a "contest" for
the objective. More like target practice :P.

>> > crack under the strain you dont get any free rides as far as Vp's, also
>> > broken units may never claim objectives by be within 15 cm of them. Of
>> ^^^^^^
>> Do you mean "broken" as in (a) more than half destroyed or (b) on fall back
>> orders? I agree with this if you mean (b).

>Same here.

I've always played that fall back units can't claim objectives, and also
that "mindless" units such as the Avatar cannot claim objectives. Works
fine. I like it much better this way.

>> > Secondly, it bothers me that units away from any command unit can easily
>> > regroup if the morale roll is made, not that it cannot be done, but it
>> > should happen under stiff penalties. This also encourages proper use of
>> > HQ units as ralling points( as well as give them a more useful role ).

>> That's what the base morale value is for! HQ stands generally give a bonus
>> for this. Don't forget that there are squad leaders and platoon leaders in
>> the detachments.

>Good point. Most (all?) command units give that +1 to morale, which is
>effective enough. Armies that require stricter command (IG, Orks)
>already have rules for their command units.

Yeah, but it sure would be nice to see command units do something besides be
one man armies, Rambo style. It would be nice to see them do things like
command once in a while, for example.

>> > Thirdly, certain feats really need guts to accomplish. Charging a tank
>> > or other troop stands is what your trained for, but tackling titans ,
>> > super heavies, and greater deamons- I think at least some morale checks
>> > are in order! maybe even at a penalty.

>> Ok, maybe a morale check at the base morale level could be required to engage
>> SH's, Titan's, etc. I don't like the idea of penalties.

>Don't Greater Demons already require a morale check? Personally, while
>morale checks might be required vs. Titans, I don't think that super
>heavies should necessarily require morale checks across the board.
>Perhaps certain units (Leviathan or Colossus) but other units would
>become far too powerful if they couldn't be pulled down in CC (Knights,
>for example. Of course, since Knights aren't coming back, does it
>matter? :] )

Knights might not be coming back out in Epic 40k, but that's what where
making this for, right :P. To keep us from ever having to deal with this
from GW again. I like the idea of forcing morale checks to attack Titans
(and GDs already have this). I feel that Titans have gotten really watered
down since the ol' glory days of Space Marine 1, where Titans had
electrified skins and such to keep swamping them from being too easy. And I
personally have been really bothered by the fact that they aren't
awe-imposing, morale causing monstrosities. I would rather charge an
alien-looking but (relatively) small Carnifex then be ordered into close
combat against a sky-scraper tall, earth-shaking Imperator. (but maybe
that's just me :P)

Frex:
"You want me to charge what!?!!

That walking building over there with the firepower to lay waste to whole
hives in a matter of minutes.

The one that just stepped on that tank, which is incidentally already many
fold my own size?

Yup, that's the one. Try to hack off, or at least dent its toe a little.
Though watch over for the power armor marines that could come charging out
of its fortress-like legs at any moment.

Urp."

On another note, we might want to consider phasing out the Squat
Superheavies later on, and changing them into Titans. It really would make
the game a lot easier organizationally, while playbalancing them more. It
would get rid of the quasi-category of Titan sized Superheavies, whose only
apparent distinction from Titans seems to be lack of limbs. Thus we
wouldn't have to say that Squat Superheavies, the Leviathin, the Hellbore,
the Capitolis Imperialis, and Titans cause morale checks when
charged/charging, just Titans cause morale checks when charged/charging.

>> > Fouthly, is firing at a unit that charges you a given if you have first
>> > fire orders? doesn't it require disipline to accomplish such a task?

>> Definitely should be allowed to do this without a test!! The only thing I
>> would like to see changed about charging and FF is that command units
>> should not be allowed to engage in CC and FF in the same turn, but that's
>> not a morale issue.

>Again I agree. IMHO, it is safe to assume enough discipline to accomplish
>such a task unless the charging unit is exceptional (GD, etc.). Even
>Orks and IG are still soldiers and wouldn't be shaken by the sight of
>normal troopers charging at them. Now, if they were Juggernaughts,
>that might be different....

I don't like this idea of having to morale test if you're being charged by
anything less than a GD/Titan. While being charged by "normal" troops is
probably still pretty scary, I don't think its to the "deer in the
headlights" point of scariness yet, and most peoples panic reactions would
probably be to cut loose with their guns if anything. These are presumably
battle tested veterans in the Dark Future that Knows Only War, or at least
newbies who are used to the idea of giving up their lives for the religion
which is their Emperor. Something has to be pretty damn scary for people to
lose all control over their minds/body and just stand there waiting to be
butchered.

Michael the long-winded Liu