RE: [Epic] Epic 40k _at_$%!

From: <duckrvr_at_...>
Date: Mon, 10 Feb 1997 09:27:00 -0600

At 05:05 PM 2/7/97 -0500, you wrote:

>Finally, what you will categorically *not* try and do is write a set of
>rules that attempts to plug every loop-hole and cover every conceivable
>eventuality that may occur on the tabletop. Why not? Because we know that
>it can't be done; you simply can't cover every possible thing that will
>arise in a tabletop game.

It CAN be done. The guys at GW just don't want to take the time to do it.

> Instead of attempting to achieve what we think is
>the impossible, we try to write rules that are easy to understand, and
>where the *intent* behind the rule is as clear as it possibly can be. I'm
>not saying we're perfect at this and that we don't make mistakes, but I
>do know we're better at it than anybody else.

That could be because _every other_ big selling wargame (SFB, ASL, DSII from
what I've heard, etc.) writes rules that attempt to cover possible abuses.

>the spirit and attitude they should bring to the tabletop when the play
>them. This has resulted in a lot of players looking at the stuff we do as
>being a game which they play 'just to win'.

Then they run tournaments why? Surely they have people with cheesy yet
legal armies show up. The pointof a tournament is to compete and win if at
all possible.

> What's more, once you get your head round the concept of what
>the hobby is *really* about, then silly niggly little rules questions
>suddenly become a lot less important.

Of course, when 30% of your armies vaporizes because of a rule
misunderstanding it doesn't affect your enjoyment of the game at all . . .
No, of course not. for example, "what do you mean your doomweavers
penetrate my void shields? What do you mean my colossus doesn't get a void
save against a warp missile?"

>I know by now some of you will be saying something along the lines of "oh
>well, that's all very well and good, but in the real world it's not like
>that".

No. It's not.

>However we can't turn round players attitudes all on our own; we need
>experienced players like you to lead by example as well. That's right,
>_you_ need to get out there and help lead new players into the light.
>
>Jervis

So it's OUR fault? Gimme a break. I don't play with people who play cheesy
armies. However, in a tournament you have to play whatever gets through the
check on force selection. This is doomed to be cheese. All this "spirit of
the rules crap is a nice idea, but it just doesn't hold water.

Temp