Re: [Epic] Q&A 5 (Answered!)

From: Erik K. Rutins <snowdo1_at_...>
Date: Tue, 25 Nov 1997 22:02:04 -0500

> Yes, they very cheaply fill up those Main force slots so that you can
> field a detachment of Nightspinners.

Yes, this is one way.

> Seriously, this is the only way I see them fielded. How have you
> them to be useful?

A second way is to get a detachment of guardians in wave serpents or
falcons. Put them on assault orders. Don't pop up to fire in the
shooting phase, keep hidden. Advance and unload in the assault phase to
firefight. Win the firefight (usually quite easily, particularly if you
took falcons), break the enemy. Now initiative becomes key. If you
lose initiative in the movement phase, pack up, retreat on assault
orders and try again next time (you can march if the enemy has no arty
or chance of catching you). If you win, wait for your enemy to move and
then if he seems to try to continue his advance or hold his ground in
that area go on overwatch. Most likely he retreated last turn to just
outside your 15cm to avoid being destroyed. So, advance 5cm on
overwatch. Blast away. Wave Serpents become a possible bonus here as
the piling on of blast markers is a good thing. Nothing warms the heart
like seeing your 2FP, 15cm guardians on overwatch actually getting a
chance to shred something, though.

If you are careful with your maneuvering and patient until the situation
is right (a key with most Eldar tactics) you can really do some damage
and completely change the tactical situation in an area with this
tactic.

Regards,

- Erik