Re: [Epic] Net Epic

From: Peter Ramos <pramos1_at_...>
Date: Mon, 10 Feb 1997 12:35:02 +0000

> If you win initiative but have less units that
> may move than your opponent, making him move first
> will still not give you the last move. You may want
> to allow the person with initiative to choose either
> to move first or last. If you choose last, the other
> guy goes first and you alternate, but if near the
> end of movement and the other guy has more than you,
> you can hold one unit to move last.

We have mentioned this and will be included in the final draft, Thank
you!

> Are you only alternating between units that may move?
> For example, can your turn to move something consist
> of not moving a unit on first fire? Do you alternate
> between all units that may move, whether they actually
> do or not (charge, advance, or command units)?

In the charge and advance phases alternation is as normal, in the first
fire phase alternation is between units that have a capability to move
and fire so units simply on first fire that dont move arent considered
for alternating purposes( that is if an army has no HQ units or units
capable of special movement, like a overlord no alternation would take
place since there are no units capable of movement).

> What about units that should be moving together in a
> group, like IG or Orks that have to stay near commanders,
> or Orks inside a Dragsta field? Do you allow more than
> one detachment to move together? If not, snap fire
> could take advantage of some of the troops moving at
> a different time than the Dragsta, even though they
> should have moved together.

Alternation doesnt save a commander from not following the cohency rules
of a given army, it just permits him to move units at different times,
units that are bound to a command structure will still follow them, it
just gives the commander more options as to WHEN HE WILL MOVE THEM IN
RELATION TO THE ENEMIES MOVEMENT.(being able to influence the enemies
movement as opposed to just reacting to his movement as in the previous
system).

As for the dragster, remember that not only shots targetted to units
within the field are deflected, but shots that trace line of fire
through the template of effect are also effected thus giving interesting
options of blocking whole lanes of fire(as the ork player would move
this unit first)thus forming a screen behind which other units may pass.
in certain ways the dragster will behave more effectively, but with the
snap fire rules if he is picked off will leave that portion of the
advance naked, the way I see it theres both pros and cons to its use and
thats what we want after all!!.

Also remember that artillery cant snap fire thus you can still protect
units in the usual manner with deflectors.

Thank you for your questions Andy that probably cleared up things for
others as well!

United we stand!
Peter