Re: [Epic] 'Must-have' units

From: Alan E & Carmel J Brain <aebrain_at_...>
Date: Fri, 28 Nov 1997 21:32:00 -0800

Carl Billen wrote:

> The problem is that I would like to build small armies of each race (1
> to 2 infantry detachments, 1 armoured detachment, 1 mechanised
> detachment (infantry with transports), and a War Engine detachment).

> Can anyone give advice about which units are 'Must-have' and which
> units are 'Avoid-at-all-costs' for the following armies :
>
> Space Marines
> Orks
> Eldar
> Tyranids
> Imperial Guard

I'll confine myself mainly to Orks, an area that I know:

Fighta-Bommas . A must-have, as many as you can afford. They're not
great, but the airpower is needed for a large army. For a small army
like yours, you can do without them, but I'd buy one blister.

Flakwagons - excellent model, quite shooty even without the flak
ability, One blister should suffice for a small army.

Ork DNs - avoid. You can get 2nd hand plastic ones that look less goofy
and more Orky (IMHO of course)

Squiggoths - avoid. If you are taking a large number of Boarboys, by all
means buy some for the "flavour factor". In fact, I'd recommend it
highly. But as regards effectiveness, forget it.

Pulsa Rockets - one of the few models cheaper to buy new than at the old
price (in Australia, $18 for 5 vs $14 for 3). Each infantry detachment
should have 1 Pulsa with it, to get a 25% chance of a 2 BMs on the
opposition even when charging, 50% on normal, and 75% on First Fire -
oops, Overwatch. In large numbers, they make excellent prep-fire. So 1
blister is probably enough.

BattleFortresses - the new models look a little better than the old
ones. But the old ones are cheaper.

Speedstas - buy the SM2 ones, which are identical, and cheaper. But you
NEED some. I have about 20, but that's for 2 special-purpose Titan- and
LR- killer units in a large (10,000 pt) army.

Weirdboy Battletowers - a must buy, 1 blister only. Again, cheaper than
the old ones ($18 for 3 vs $9 for 1 in Australia). And you need SOME. Of
course, if you're like me you just convert battlewagons...

Big Gunz. You need these, the more the merrier. But you get SAGs with
the plastic sprues, and can pick up old Tractor Kannon for pennies. I
bought one blister (at $9 or $6 US) to add variety to my 20+ Splatta
Kannon, 20+ SAGs and 20+ Tractors.

In summary, because of the lack of cheese, a bit of everything would do
no harm.

For SMs:
Attack Bikes. These are costly, but very effective. 2 FP for 10 pts is a
bargain.

DNs - They look wonderful. But are not effective. Buy some for style.

A Command LR for style to lead your plastic LRs is a possibility.

For IG

Chimerae - you're going to need about 20 for a reasonable small army.
Ouch.
Deathstrikes - Cheesy, but effective.
Artillery - An IG army without at least 25% Artillery content is
severely handicapped. Try to get the SM2 stuff though, Manticores, Siege
Mortars etc.

For Tyrannids

Hive Tyrants - a MUST BUY as you need them in order to have a reasonable
amount of command units. If you only buy one blister of anything, buy an
HT blister. 2 would be adequate for a small army.

Assault Swarms - These are #2 on the list. At least 2 blisters. However,
you can get them 2nd hand as cheap or cheaper.

Biovores - another very effective unit. You need some.

Harridan - Buy one, just to transport your gargoyles (ie for style)
Quite effective.

BioTitans - avoid. Too brittle under E40K rules (Damn) just as they were
grossly overpowered under SM2

Dominatrices - avoid, for same reason as BioTitans, just not nearly as
bad. They are almost worth getting. Maybe 1 for style.

Eldar
Pretty much all of it is a "must have". You need quite a few Falcons and
Wave Serpents, the rest in trace quantities.

--
 abrain_at_...  o OO*O^^^^O*OO o oo     oo oo     oo