Re: [Epic] Correct Infantry Comparsions

From: Sean Smith <seans_at_...>
Date: Tue, 02 Dec 1997 22:22:21 +1300

On Tue 02 Dec, Dirk Vormann wrote:
> > - Jervis was right in the last Q&A. Imperial guard infantry point for point
> > have the same firepower as marines on overwatch. Also when imperial
> > guard are supported by hellhounds, demolishers or ogyrns, their assault
> > value is better than normal space marines supported by vindicators or
> > dreadnoughts.
>

> > Note - Jevis seems to right about the firepower of the imperial
> > gaurd. The imperial guard fire power (if moving normally)
> > is equal to the fire power of space marines on overwatch. Also
> > normal imperial guard troops, with support troops, have an
> > equal or better assault value than normal space marines, supported
> > by dreadnoughts or vindicators. Orgyns provide the best assault
> > value, hellhounds give equal assault and firepower, demolishers
> > have slightly less firepower and assault value than hellhounds, but
> > have better armour. The assault values for the imperial
> > guard are easily beaten by Chaos, Eldar and Tryanids, the imperial
> > guard will need to use artillery to reduce their strength before
> > they get into close combat.
>

> You are missing the point about proplems with the imperial guard. You did
> not consider the increased point values for additional command squads in
> your calculation.

Good point DV, I have taken this additional factor into my calculations
below.

With the minimum of 1 HQ for 3 IG squads, the IG firepower becomes 0.09
(instead of 0.14) and the same for the assault value. This compares to a 5
squad (10 space marine units) space marine detachment with a captain and
a Librarian. Which has fire power of 0.10 on overwatch (instead of 13)
and an assault value of 0.17 (instead 0.20), with +1 on the die roll because
of the Lbrarian. There is still only 0.01 difference in the firepower DV,
overall I think this still supports my orginal conclusion DV.

P.S

If you purchase commissars in each squad the IG firepower becomes
0.07 and IG assault value becomes 0.11.

--
 Sean Smith

 Home - Seans_at_...