Re: Sv: [Epic] Flak Units in 'Bloody hell, we're useless!' Shock!

From: Stephen Sheldon <stephes_at_...>
Date: Tue, 2 Dec 1997 18:56:31 -0800 (PST)

> Jon Nielsen <jon_at_...> came forth and spoke thusly:
>
> >The problem here, I think, is that you can see the results of the attack of
> >one unit
> >of fliers, before you commit the next unit. Is'nt this kinda unfair towards
> >other units?
>
> Not really, IMAO. Imagine the scene:
> The Mek wiped his brow as the Thunderhawk shot past his buggy,
> still spinning, and slammed into the ground. He started reloading the
> autocannon when he noticed the Marauders swooping in...
> Frantically winding, the barrels of the Flakwagons rose, too
> slow to target the aircraft. As the Marauders pulled out of their dive a
> few scant metres from the Orks their cannon started blazing and bombs
> dropped, blowing the flakwagons away before they had fired more than a
> few rounds.

I think that the time scale is a little longer than that. I have always
treated the flak units as units that can overwatch fliers at a decent
range, and since they are overwatching, they can fire repeatedly, of
course this means that fliers are at a larger risk, but the flak should
be rapid firing. I propose a new mission: Escort; fliers on escort
operate like fliers on transport (1/2FP) but, for the purpose of flakking
and dogfighting, the two detachments are considered one. Eg. Marauders
ecorting T-hawks, the flak units or interceptors have a larger target to
concern themselves with since if there are 3 hawks and 5 marauders, the
combined unit will operate as a detachment of 8 units.
I just pulled that off the top of my head, so rip it apart and modify it,
I think it is a good idea for development.
Steve

--
When you dream there are no rules, people can fly, anything can happen.
Sometimes, there's a moment as you're waking, that you become aware of