Re: [Epic] Correct Infantry Comparsions

From: Sean Smith <seans_at_...>
Date: Thu, 04 Dec 1997 13:36:00 +1300

On Thu 04 Dec, A. Allen McCarley wrote:
> > With the minimum of 1 HQ for 3 IG squads, the IG firepower becomes 0.09
> > (instead of 0.14) and the same for the assault value. This compares to a 5
> > squad (10 space marine units) space marine detachment with a captain and
> > a Librarian. Which has fire power of 0.10 on overwatch (instead of 13)
> > and an assault value of 0.17 (instead 0.20), with +1 on the die roll because
> > of the Lbrarian. There is still only 0.01 difference in the firepower DV,
> > overall I think this still supports my orginal conclusion DV.
>
> What about a single detachment with 9 squads and three HQ's? No one has
> ever claimed that the price of IG units is incorrect, just that they get
> screwed by having a 75 point surcharge on a full detachment instead of
> everyone else's 25 point surcharge.

As I read rules you only have to buy 1 HQ per 9 squads, the other to HQs
optional, that how my club has played it. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

> I also note that you are comparing only firepower and assault, and are
> not considering survivability. Keep in mind that you have to roll a
> 1 or a 2 in order to *miss* a Guardsman. In order to compete with the
> Marine infantry (which is the comparison you are drawing here) the Guard
> need numbers. Unfortunately, their massive surcharge prevents them from
> getting the numbers they need for the same points as spent by the Marines.

Ah but, for marines to have equal firepower to IG they need to be on overwatch.
Remember that IG forces are very happy to sit back and soften up oppents
with artillery. This forces IG oppents to attack or get pounded to bits, meaningthat it is very unlikely that their units will be overwatch. If the marines
aren't on overwatch, then their power is approximately half IG firepower. Below is an example I posted to the list a few days ago:

With the minimum of 1 HQ for 9 IG squads, the IG firepower becomes 0.09
(instead of 0.14) and the same for the assault value. This compares to a 5
squad (10 space marine units) space marine detachment with a captain and
a Librarian. Which has fire power of 0.10 on overwatch (instead of 13)
and an assault value of 0.17 (instead 0.20), with +1 on the die roll because
of the Lbrarian. There is still only 0.01 difference in the firepower,
overall I think this still supports my orginal conclusion.

P.S

If you purchase commissars in each squad the IG firepower becomes
0.07 and IG assault value becomes 0.11.

Also IG infantry are used a different way to marines. Were as marines have
the manvourability to concentrate on specific enemy units. The IG good fire
power, low assault value, low manvourability and excellent artillery, means
their best tactic is to advance on foot in a single wave, softening up the
enemy with firepower and artillery before they assault.

--
 Sean Smith

 Home - Seans_at_...