Re: [Epic] Chaos Stuff.

From: Scott Shupe <shupes_at_...>
Date: Thu, 04 Dec 1997 10:47:39 -0500

Mark A Shieh wrote:

> Chris Pinson <chrisp_at_...> writes:
> >
> > I'm thinking of buying a Chaos Army (off a friend) and noticed that it
> > comes with 60 Juggers, 20 Disks and 40 Riding beasts of Slannesh. It also
> > has some trolls and minotaurs.
> >
> > Having a look through the lists I noticed these units aren't really
> > supported (the chaos cavalry are to a lesser extent).
> >
> > Anyway, what I was thinking of doing was this ...
> >
> > Allow Chaos cultists to upgrade to Juggers or Riding Beasts (Cavalry) for 3
> > points and upgrade to Disks (Cavalry, Skimmer) for 10 points. This makes
> > the upgrade comparable with Rough Riders.

        Lowly cultists are not worthy of riding daemon steeds.
That privilege is reserved for the chaos champions (which are
usually chaos marines).

        I'd mention checking out the ideas at my website as a
starting point for your own house rules, but a few people have
already given out the URL (thanks, guys!).

> > This still doesn't help with the Minotaurs and Trolls.
> >
> > Any thoughts ????
>
> Well, in SM/TL, you could treat Minotaurs/Trolls as if they were
> Beastmen with a meaner CAF and a higher cost.

        And an armor save. Of course, that hardly ever made a
difference, but it was still there.

> I believe someone
> suggested fielding them under the Beastman Champion heading.

        I liked the idea of Beastmen + Hero, stats-wise. Hero
should probably cost 8 points in that case (it's 6 points for IG
who have an assault of 1 and 10 points for SM who have assault
of 3, beastmen have an assault of 2).

> (However, that's not a main force unit, is it? No books at work. :(

        Yep. Cultists & Beastmen make up the main force of the
detachment.

> If you're going to make up stats, I'd say treat the Minotaurs
> as Bloodletters with no save and a 10cm move. Trolls would be
> Bloodletters with a 10cm move and some form of stupidity. One take on
> stupidity might to classify them as Rampagers, but that's stretching
> it more than a tad.

        Yeah. Rampage is for frenzied close combat monsters.
The Trolls' stupidy manifests itself by the trolls wandering
around and not following orders properly.

> They should be fieldable wherever Beastmen can
> go, in about the same numbers. Unfortunately, I only know the SM/TL
> stats by heart, so I don't know what has happened to the beastman
> detachment options.

        You can still make pure Beastmen warbands, except with
a cultist coven unit replacing the chaos champ (I use a chaos
champ model for the coven anyway, so that's not a big deal for
me). You could do the same for minotaurs & trolls if you stuck
them in the same spot, but then you have them possibly being
transported around in Chimeras. Seems a bit odd to me.

        Personally I think the Minotaurs and Trolls don't belong
in the cultist detachment; fluff-wise they're more of a daemon
world unit (along with chaos squats and the various daemon engines).
Which means there's no good place for them in the current list
unless you're going to create a new detachment...

Scott Shupe
shupes_at_... shupes@... http://www.rpi.edu/~shupes
"Ia! Ia! Cthulgu fhtagn!"