Re: [Epic] How to UNSUBSCRIBE from the List?

From: Scott Shupe <shupes_at_...>
Date: Tue, 09 Dec 1997 12:36:59 -0500

Will Richards wrote:

> I have been trying for about a week with no success.
>
> the message I get back is....

> Your request to Majordomo:
>
> unsubscribe space-marine richarwt_at_...
>
> has been forwarded to the owner of the "space-marine" list for approval.
> This could be for any of several reasons:

[snip]

> You might have asked to subscribe or unsubscribe an address other than
> the one that appears in the headers of your mail message.
>
> When the list owner approves your request, you will be notified.
>
> If you have any questions about the policy of the list owner, please
> contact "space-marine-approval_at_...".
>
> Thanks!
>
> Majordomo

        Right. This is to keep people from subscribing or
unsubscribing others without their consent.

> the other message I get is:

> **** unsubscribe: 'Will Richards <richarwt_at_...>' is not a member
> of list 'space-marine'.
> **** contact "space-marine-approval_at_..." if you need help.

        This is because you're subscribed as richarwt_at_... (I
sent a "who" command to Majordomo; that's the only email address
from acom.mil).

> I have also been sending messages to space-marine-approval_at_...
>
> but am getting no replies and the list keeps sending.
>
> Ideas? Where is the list maintainer?

        Is it at all possible to send the unsubscribe from a
machine that will stick "richarwt_at_..." in the email header
instead of "richarwt_at_..."? (or whatever) Presumably
this should be the same machine you sent the subscribe from
(since I don't think majordomo would allow you to subscribe with
a different address than what was in your email headers).

Scott Shupe
shupes_at_... shupes@... http://www.rpi.edu/~shupes
"I felt like I was becoming scientifically interesting." - Heart of
Darkness