Re: [Epic] Net Epic

From: Jason Robinson <ewing_at_...>
Date: Tue, 11 Feb 1997 23:48:57 +0200 (EET)

On Sun, 9 Feb 1997, Peter Ramos wrote:
> ON TO MORALE!
> For a long time it has bothered me somewhat that a unit that breaks can
> hold its ground unit it is obliged to move in the following turn.
> Probably everyone has a story of losing ( and winning ) a game because a
> unit that broke still holds an objective! This doesn't to sit well with
> what ademoralized unit can do. I suggest that movement regarding broken
> units be taken immediately upon breaking. This means if your troops
> crack under the strain you dont get any free rides as far as Vp's, also
> broken units may never claim objectives by be within 15 cm of them. Of
> course this movement may happen at any phase not just the movement
> phase!

 Sounds reasonable. Since morale checks for broken units are done
 in the end phase, wouldn't this movement be done there? Or should
 morale checks be rolled as soon as the break point is reached?
 Anyway, once the troops have been assigned their fall back counter
 (or root counter maybe?), I agree they should immediately make their
 "fall back" move, which of course has to be away from the enemy.
 Maybe a minimum of the troops advance move and maximum of their
 charge move? (same restrictions could be applied to voluntary
 fall backs, if we decide to use them) Also, troops on fall back
 shouldn't be allowed to claim objectives, even if they are the
 closest troops.

> Secondly, it bothers me that units away from any command unit can easily
> regroup if the morale roll is made, not that it cannot be done, but it
> should happen under stiff penalties. This also encourages proper use of
> HQ units as ralling points( as well as give them a more useful role ).

 Don't know about this one. I think using the adeptus titanicus
 morale rules might be good, or at least ripping parts from it.
 Giving minuses to troops not near to their commanders would be
 unfair, as some armies don't use commanders. I would understand
 it with the Imperial Guard though. :)

> Thirdly, certain feats really need guts to accomplish. Charging a tank
> or other troop stands is what your trained for, but tackling titans ,
> super heavies, and greater deamons- I think at least some morale checks
> are in order! maybe even at a penalty.

 Yup. A penalty with daemons maybe, but not titans/shv's, IMO.

> Fouthly, is firing at a unit that charges you a given if you have first
> fire orders? doesn't it require disipline to accomplish such a task?

 As they would already get -1 to their shots, I think it is harder
 enough already to stop charging troops.

        - Jason