Re: [Epic] Epio vechicle size

From: Andy Skinner <askinner_at_...>
Date: Fri, 12 Dec 1997 15:51:17 -0500

J. Michael Looney wrote:
> A while ago there was some talk about how many person could fit in a a
> given Epic vehicle.
>
> 1st note:
> GW's epic vehicles are hugh. Giant, moster things. Even the little
> ones are way off size.
>
> I have setting in front of me a 1:285 scale M113 and a GW Space Marine
> (2nd ed as it so happens)Rhino.
>
> The M113, is in real life 4.8 meters long and 2.6 meters wide. That
> works out to 16mm by 9mm in scale, which is what the figure messures.
> It carries 2 crew and 11 grunts.
>
> The Rhino (2(?) crew + 10 grunts) is 22mm long by 17mm wide. That works
> out to either 6.6 meters long and 5.1 meters wide (assuming 1:300 scale
> aka 6mm) or 6.2 meters by 4.8 meters (assuming 1:285 scale aka "Micro
> Armor").
>
> Either way the damn thing is hugh, and it is one of the smaller epic
> vehicles.

I've heard this argument before, and I'd like a bit more info.

The statement is that GW vehicles are bigger than microarmor, so they're
huge. Does that mean they're huge vehicles, or that they're a larger
scale than microarmor?

How big are the GW infantry compared to microarmor scale infantry? (Of
course, it depends on which figures you're talking about. Some of those
scouts won't be able to fit into space marine armor until they shrink
'em.) Are microarmor infantry the same scale as their vehicles? (I
think this is more likely to be true for historical microarmor than
for GW.) Some GW infantry are obviously bigger than 6mm scale. Of
course, the Rhino is a pretty old model, dating from when most of the
epic figures were smaller, whether or not they were ever really 6mm.
(Those guardians have gotten a lot bigger, with some intermediate sizes
between the really tiny little ones that were in the 2nd edition main
box and the imposing ones they have now.)

I've seen some (probably 1/300) microarmor, and have trouble believing
they are anywhere near the scale of either GW infantry or GW vehicles.
I bought Renegade Legions for some grav tanks, but only the biggest
look even plausible. I'm going to use three of them for falcons,
and they look more like the new ones than the old ones. But the
rest are doomed to be small Full Thrust space ships. I can't imagine
GW models in these things unless they were lying down. But they'd
be very believable (in scale) next to my friend's microarmor.

Anyway, just curious about whether you can just compare the size of
the vehicles and come to a conclusion. Do microarmor infantry look
like you could fit them into the vehicles?

andy

--
Andy Skinner
askinner_at_...