Re: [Epic] First Game of Epic 40k. Many Questions..

From: Erik K. Rutins <snowdo1_at_...>
Date: Sat, 13 Dec 1997 18:27:07 -0500

Hi Vladimyr,

> 1. The Land Raider Anti Tank Shots. Do they count as:
> eight 1 point super heavy shots (giving 1 blast marker per
> or one 8 point super heavy barrage (giving 1 blast marker)

As I recall you get four land raiders in Gogard's last stand. They are
one detachment and they are firing at one target (the gargant). So,
they count in the 4-8 SHW column and give 1 blast marker (for all of
them firing together). So if all 4 fired at Korpsgrinda, you would have
8 4+ chances of causing a hit and you would apply one blast marker
total.

> 2. The way I read the rules my gargant always fired last because it
> war engine. True or False?

True, but it firefights identically.

> 3. Being used to normal epic, I'm a little confused by the definition
> Does it mean - Gaze of Gork hits on a 2+. Does it cause a wound
> Or do I have to roll the armour save after? The way I read it hit
> damaging hit. Am I right?

Right. Gaze of gork at a land raider (normally hit on a 6+). If you
roll a 2+, that land raider is _dead_.

> 4. Also, with the gargant (or any other thing with multiple shots),
> have to declare all your shots before shooting, or do you go through
> Or do they have to shoot at the same detachment?

Declare before shooting. You don't have to shoot at different
detachments. You choose what shoots first after everything is
declared. Usually a good idea to shoot specifically targeted SHWs
before general FP since the FP may kill the SHW target otherwise.

> Well, the game was interesting, but the fact that everything needed a
> hit the gargant (except the Land Raiders) meant that the gargant still
> one shield left at the end of the game (and all marines were dead). I
> sure the Land Raiders were taken out first (they took out most of the
> shields) and then the others barely made a dent. Which seems just a
> hard to believe. Has anyone else played this scenario? How did it

You need a 5+ to hit the gargant, not a 6+. Overwatch makes it much
easier to get that 5+ for FP units like marines. I have taken down that
gargant several times, but it is definitely a balanced and very close
scenario every time I've played it.

Put the devastators out front, keep them on overwatch. Put the tacs
behind, bring the LRs on as reserves. The marines should try to strip
shields/apply blast markers. The LRs should be the coup de grace.

> Also, what are people's general opinions of Epic 40k?
> What do you think of it and why?

I love it. In a nutshell, it makes me think very much more of 'good
tactics' and very much less of 'this combo/unit rules!' which I have had
too much of in GW games.

> Also, it should be fairly easy to play Space Marine with the new
> and bases. How many of you are doing that?

I've played with folks who've used the old bases in Epic 40k without any
problems. As for the reverse I couldn't tell ya.

Regards,

- Erik