[Epic] WD217 Epic Article

From: Carl Billen <billenc_at_...>
Date: Fri, 19 Dec 1997 08:47:06 +0100

In WD217 is an article called 'Tactica Imperialis' there is a paragraph
which manages to confuse me totally. It goes as follows :

<start snip>
' The Great Gargant was standing on a hill, undamaged at the start of the
turn when 18 Space Marine units swept down from orbit and landed in the
open, in front of the Gargant. The Ork detachment in the woods nearby was
surprised by the Space Marine's arrival and broken. The Thunderhawks dusted
off, blasting the Gargant as they went and placing 3 BMs for their 24 FP
(before halving this for transport orders) and destroying 2 shields. The
Space Marines opened up, destroying some more of the Gargant's shields, and
placing another 3 BMs. With so many BM on it the Gargant's return firing
was seriously limited and it was unable to move in the assault phase.'
<end snip>

1) Is there a 'surprise' rule, which allows you to scare away detachments ?
I thought (I haven't got my rules book here) that the sequence was something
like 'do flying stuff, move, shoot, move, close combat, firefight, run
away'. The SM land, jump out, scare the Orks away, the Thunderhawks and SM
fire at the Gargant ???

2) The Thawks place BM according to their total FP, put fire at half their
FP ??? I thought you had to calculate your FP, and place BMs according to
that FP ?

Continually feeling always confused,

Carl Billen
billenc_at_...