Re: [Epic] RE: Space Marine Units.

From: Francois Bruntz <fbruntz_at_...>
Date: Wed, 24 Dec 1997 04:06:58 PST

Steve a �crit :

>While getting bikes to support your land speeders is good advice I
>disagree
>with the rest. (Bikes are included int he 'Space Marine Battle Group' >
box
>only 1 stand though! )

To support land speeders I adviced to use attack bikes (assault bikes?
Well, those sold in a blister) as they only cost 10 points (vs 20 for a
land speeder) and move quite fast.
In general I only use my "normal" bikes to cover my armored detachments
(for example : 4 LRs + 3 Predators + 2 bike stands).

>Also all the infantry you need in in that box, but in order to get
>enough
>bikes or special troops like terminators, you need to a buy a lot of
>boxes,
>.(games workshop is evil...)

I've always said that GW is the Microsoft of the board games as Wisards
of the Coast is the Microsoft of the CCGs. ;o)

>You can also get 'assault bikes' which are in a blister...but cost to
>effectivness wise the standard bikes are good to have as a screen to
>protect the better assault bikes and land speeders.

I agree with this.

>Dreadnoughts, they are just too slow and make nice Anti-tank targets,
>have some but after many games dropped them from my amry...they were
>never
>effective.. you need to get them close... but the enemy will target
>them
>when they see them approaching and they will die.

Dreadnoughts are very difficult to use as they are two slow. You can
deploy them in a detachment you know that it won't move too much. The
figs are very nice, it's another advantage. :)

>Now you need an armoured detachment!!! LAND RAIDERS ROCK!

I agree, they ROCK, but they are also the main targets of your
enemies... Beware, use bike stands to cover them!

>Get yourself some of the 'Space Marine Tanks' Boxes ..and 'Land
>Raider
>Command' blisters. Get enough vehicles to transport all of your
>infantry.

It is very, very, very, ..., very important to transport all your units
: a SM army can't be as fast as an Eldar one but it can move quickly,
use this advantage! This is one of the reasons that make a dreadnought
very difficult to use in this kind of army.

>Moble Infantry is the way to go... esp the much reviled >rhinos...which
is
>epic are actually useful...
>
>Build an armoured Detechment... take 3 or 4 land raiders with 3 to 6
>predators... they make a great combo and have a lot of hitting >power..
>
>Lastly build an artillery detachment with Whirlwinds... Whirlwinds >are
>nasty...use em ..abuse em.. (2 Whirlwinds in each of the 'Tanks' box)
>
>Thunderhawk are great if your enemy is not using any interceptors...
>but
>much safter to get some thunderbolts as well.
>
>For the ultimate army however you need to get Imperial guard units >and
>Titan Legions as well.. (a full army of the imperium is very well
>balanced
>and powerful)

I did not speak about IG because some players don't like to mix SM with
it. In fact, it is a reflexe from Epic Space Marine where you were able
to play SMs as a complete army, in Epic 40k it's not true : the IG is
almost vital to complete some of the lacks of the SM units (lack of flak
units, lack of heavy tanks, lack of flyers, etc...).

Francois Bruntz
Apprenti MIAGE (Universite Paris XII - IBM France)

                  Lord's Home Page
              Space Marine and Epic 40k
                Last Update : 12/24/97

  http://www.geocities.com/TimesSquare/Dungeon/2370/