Re: [Epic] off topic: Why so ticked?

From: Craig Lytton <polecat_at_...>
Date: Thu, 25 Dec 1997 16:46:01 -0800

-----Original Message-----
From: Harlequin Master <harlequin_at_...>
To: space-marine_at_... <space-marine@...>
Date: Thursday, December 25, 1997 10:10 AM
Subject: Re: [Epic] off topic: Why so ticked?

>Here are my comments for posterity...
>

>And yes, Tim, GW games do have a nice simplicity about them....simplicity
>with a hefty price tag!! Rogue Trader cost 10 when I bought it new in the
>80's, 40k now costs 50 new from the stores!!! The actual rule books are
>getting smaller but the price tag keeps rising!! Couple with the fact that
>the race of your choice now has to start with a 15 Codex/Armybook before
>buying any minis!!

As an older gamer who has read the Rouge Trader rules and most of the
old 40k books, I have to say that the newer version is far better in game
play,
and remember that for the 50 you pay, you get a decent set of plastic
miniatures
as well as dice, ect. All other things aside, I have no complaints
whatsoever
with any of the GW boxed games I have purchased, especially EPIC 40k.

I was thinking of playing EPIC years ago, but you had to buy the Space
Marine
box, which did not really have a good variety of miniatures, plus another
$35
box for your army(s). I recently picked up Epic 40k, and was very satisfied
with
the contents of the box vs price. You get a great variety of nicely
detailed plastic
miniatures, enough to make a standard marine company (6 tac, 2 assault, and
2 dev
squads plus Rhinos to ride in...very nice).

The newer simplified and cleaned-up rules are great IMHO. The older rules,
from the bit that I had seen at least, had a very patched-togather
complicated feel.
IMHO at the Epic/micro-armor type scale, all those details are only
cumbersome
and time consuming. DISCLAIMER: I never saw the Titan Legions version of
the rules at all, so I'm not sure if they cleaned them up any then.

With the new army lists, if I bought 1 land speeder, for example, or
obtained
1 squad of space marines, I can use them... without having to have a minimum
of 5 miniatures like 40k or a whole company. Now I might not want to
game-wise, but you have the option.

I don't know why everyone is concerned about GWs attitude so much. Many
other companies display far worse attitudes. As far as alternative
miniatures,
there's nothing wrong with that, but personally, I feel that the GW
miniatures,
especially the EPIC 40k minis are far higher quality that any others on the
market.
I'm looking right now at several Basilisks for EPIC that are all
different... camo
nets and all...very nice. When I go to buy clothes, I could buy a pair of
khakis from
Wal-mart for $18, but I buy Dockers because they are much nicer and higher
quality.

I'm not flaming you Harliquin, its just that I have also been puzzled by
this attitude
towards GW. I am getting into golf, and even for the price of a cheap set
of clubs,
I could buy a couple of decent EPIC armies...and I will probably receive far
less
enjoyment from this highly frustrating sport. :) And I could care less
what the golf
club company's attitude towards me is.

-craig