RE: [Epic] off topic: Why so ticked?

From: Cyril Crocker <dslayer_at_...>
Date: Thu, 25 Dec 1997 16:39:35 -0500

First off, Happy Holidays to everyone (The pollitically correct statement).

My biggest peeve with GW over Epic40k is not with the game or the minis.
 It's with their marketing stategies.

2 years ago, I was starting to really get into Titan Legions with a couple
of my friends. All of a sudden, everything was gone. I had no warning at
all. My friend who had split Titan Legions with me stopped playing. The
minis were not available from GW. Pulling out of Epic the way they did
then was shattering to me. No support, no minis, no nothing.
It took the nobz a few years to get the new game out and when it did, the
price of the game was jacked up $25 CDN. The blisters were almost doubled
in price and you payed the same for a meager acquisition of troop sprues
compared to a few years before. Basically, for me the stuff is too
overpriced. Even at discount mail order shops, it's still more expensive
than the old minis. I even like the older ones better.

Also, I don't like the way that races were either redesigned (Eldar) or
dropped completely (Squats). Some of the new Eldar stuff just causes the
older stuff to be useless in a coherent looking army (the old nightwings
for example). Also, my friend who I was trying to get him into the game
played Squats and zzzip, I had no incentive for him to play anymore. The
one time I got him to the point of buying troops for his army was the day I
learned the game was pulled off the walls. GW could have at least kept the
bloody minis out for sale during the period that the game was being
redesigned. But of course they didn't, because it would only make sense
and they could use the wall space for the other crappy games. (No offense
meant for those who play them, I have just never done so myself).

Don't get me wrong, I absolutely love the game. It's not perfect, but
nothing in the world is. It plays faster than the previous versions. But
the above reasons are why I dislike GW for what they did.
Cyril Crocker
Dragon Slayer
dslayer_at_...