Re: [Epic] off topic: Why so ticked?

From: Thane Morgan <thane_at_...>
Date: Thu, 25 Dec 1997 23:26:03 -0700

I have seen arguements that say.." there is only
> $0.25 worth of metal yet a mini costs $5 or whatever....WHAT A
> RIPOFF!"....do you expect an artist to sell you a painting for the cost of
> the canvas and paint? Come on now!

Sure, but do you expect to pay $500 buck for one of 20000 prints. I
don't think so.

I think all of us want to wargame, but we dont want to pay $15.00 for a
model which will be unusable in two years (squat and titan legion
players can back me up on this). We don't want the cost of the game to
prohibit new players, so we only get the wealthy or spoiled. And we
definately don't want to take a fine tactical game and lobotomize it, so
the studio guys don't have to strain their brains when they do a
quarterly battle report.

(snip)
Try ASL $80 ...just for the rules! ...no playing pieces at
all. Each of the 10 odd expansions are $50 each...for cardboard squares
and
paper maps...not minis. GW for me please!

I spent well over $400 in Squats and Knights, plus the hours of
painting.

Hey, GW makes OK games. They make nice miniatures. They're not gaming
prodigies; their games tend to have major flaws to encourage argument
and reduce the tactics. They seem to have decided that they prefer an
exclusiveness to their games, as opposed to trying to get their games
into every house. I would hope for the opposite mentally to eventually
overcome, and maybe a cheaper and better alternative (such as Chronopia)
 will provide some competition to their monopoly.

Thane