Re: [Epic] off topic: Why so ticked?

From: Tim <tim_macpherson_at_...>
Date: Thu, 25 Dec 1997 07:45:50 -0800

I for one totally agree with Liquid's sentiments. As far as hobbies go..the
GW hobby costs peanuts. Think of what it costs to get into golf
(clubs,green-fees),skiing(equipment,lift passes)...or even something like
model building. A model kit from any one of the Japanese companies can cost
you over Fifty bucks. There seems to be this perception that GW should be
giving their stuff away...why does a company go into business in the first
place? To make a profit. I have seen arguements that say.." there is only
$0.25 worth of metal yet a mini costs $5 or whatever....WHAT A
RIPOFF!"....do you expect an artist to sell you a painting for the cost of
the canvas and paint? Come on now! I am an old-time wargamer...I started
back when I was 13...I am 30 now. In all that time, I have never come across
anything as enjoyable as the esthetics and simplicity of the GW games...for
that reason alone ...they are easily worth it, to me. =) You wanna know an
expensive game? Try ASL $80 ...just for the rules! ...no playing pieces at
all. Each of the 10 odd expansions are $50 each...for cardboard squares and
paper maps...not minis. GW for me please!

Tim