Re: [Epic] off topic:Wd leaderless?

From: Tim <tim_macpherson_at_...>
Date: Wed, 31 Dec 1997 02:42:47 -0800

>Yup, these guys are going thru the editors like crazy. At least 3 diff
>editors in the last 14 issues or so. BTW, is the WD editor Robin Dews or
>Paul Sawyer ? I thought it was Paul Sawyer, but I have not quite seen much
>of his editorial.

I thought Paul Sawyer was editor of The Journal...isn't that Jake-guy still
the editor?

>In WD217, Robin Dews "climb upon the soapbox in order to rant and rave
about
>a subject close to my heart.." Basically he was defending (or whatever you
>want to call it) Epic40K. Evidently he got pretty cheesed off by US
>retailers' view that E40K is a "simpler than its predecessors and therefore
>as a result can't be as realistic."

Heheh ..realistic. =) A game that bases most probabilities on the the roll
of a 6 sided die. =)
More complicated doesn't mean more realistic....and certainly doesn't mean
more enjoyable either. It's a science-FICTION game!

>To cut the story short, he got pretty worked up over the whole matter. Me
>thinks this is because E40K sales has been very disappointing. And the
>feedback that these GW guys get is that E40K is too simple as compared to
>Epic. Mayhaps someone could compile the mails that just went on a few days
>ago on the list :)

I think GW policy of making retailers carry a whole rack of E40K or nothing
at all blew up in their faces. I remember plenty of grumbling at my local
game store about this. I believe this hurt the launch of E40K big-time. E40K
may be a slow starter...in my gaming group there are 4 or 5 of us that just
started the game. I have played 40K and WHFB for a couple years...I just
started E40K about 2 weeks ago. Epic...as far as I know...hasn't been as
popular as the other two games anyways. I can't really see GW pulling
support for Epic because it is one of their 3 core products...it has to be
more popular than WHQ,SH, and Necromunda.

Tim
Fledgling Dark Angels Master