Re: [Epic] off topic:Wd leaderless?

From: Thane Morgan <thane_at_...>
Date: Thu, 01 Jan 1998 11:11:29 -0700

Tim wrote:

> >Yup, these guys are going thru the editors like crazy. At least 3 diff
> >editors in the last 14 issues or so. BTW, is the WD editor Robin Dews or
> >Paul Sawyer ? I thought it was Paul Sawyer, but I have not quite seen much
> >of his editorial.
>
> I thought Paul Sawyer was editor of The Journal...isn't that Jake-guy still
> the editor?
> >
> >In WD217, Robin Dews "climb upon the soapbox in order to rant and rave
> about
> >a subject close to my heart.." Basically he was defending (or whatever you
> >want to call it) Epic40K. Evidently he got pretty cheesed off by US
> >retailers' view that E40K is a "simpler than its predecessors and therefore
> >as a result can't be as realistic."
>
> Heheh ..realistic. =) A game that bases most probabilities on the the roll
> of a 6 sided die. =)
> More complicated doesn't mean more realistic....and certainly doesn't mean
> more enjoyable either. It's a science-FICTION game!
>

> >To cut the story short, he got pretty worked up over the whole matter. Me
> >thinks this is because E40K sales has been very disappointing. And the
> >feedback that these GW guys get is that E40K is too simple as compared to
> >Epic. Mayhaps someone could compile the mails that just went on a few days
> >ago on the list :)
>
> I think GW policy of making retailers carry a whole rack of E40K or nothing
> at all blew up in their faces. I remember plenty of grumbling at my local
> game store about this. I believe this hurt the launch of E40K big-time. E40K
> may be a slow starter...in my gaming group there are 4 or 5 of us that just
> started the game. I have played 40K and WHFB for a couple years...I just
> started E40K about 2 weeks ago. Epic...as far as I know...hasn't been as
> popular as the other two games anyways. I can't really see GW pulling
> support for Epic because it is one of their 3 core products...it has to be
> more popular than WHQ,SH, and Necromunda.
>
> Tim
> Fledgling Dark Angels Master
> >
> >And still not much improvement in WD - though I still buy them ;)
> >
> >Regards
> >Oki
> >I think that not having armies ready for sale made it a slow starter as
well. They pissed off the SM/TL gamers by leaving them to hang for nine
months ( the people who would have given them the best shot for
marketing their game to new players), and there were no minis left on
the shelves to entice new players when the game came out. New chaos
players still have no reason to get into the game, and old chaos players
are angry about half of their army list disappearing ( nevermore to see
the sweep of juggernaughts riding across the fields, frollicking over
the dead bodies of those too foolish to join . . .)

Thane