Re: [Epic] Close Assault

From: Matthew Sprange <altsain_at_...>
Date: Wed, 31 Dec 1997 12:22:34 -0000

>I think that a more reliable way to do close combat is to average the
>sum of two dice rolls. This system still preserves a little of the
>"randomness" while giving the players a little less of the "hand of
>fate" feeling.

Now that is a good idea - I'll have to give that one some thought.

Going back to strangeness within the rules, you mentioned Infiltrators using
their additional movement when deploying from Drop Pods. WHY? I have never
been able to figure this one out, I've seen it done within the pages of WD
but it seems to make very little sense.

My opponent suggested that perhaps these Infiltrators were never really in
the Drop Pods and they just pop up out of where they were hiding to support
the landing. Makes sense of a sort, but even he admits this is pretty thin.
Anyone else have a better explanation?

Also, deploying from Drop Pods aside, has anyone found a good way of using
Infiltrators without them getting butchered? I usually fight against
Tyranids, so Infiltrators are pretty much out anyway, but I still don't get
them, if you see what I mean.