Re: [Epic] Close Assault

From: Thane Morgan <thane_at_...>
Date: Thu, 01 Jan 1998 11:26:54 -0700

Matthew Sprange wrote:

> >I think that a more reliable way to do close combat is to average the
> >sum of two dice rolls. This system still preserves a little of the
> >"randomness" while giving the players a little less of the "hand of
> >fate" feeling.
> >

> Now that is a good idea - I'll have to give that one some thought.
>
> Going back to strangeness within the rules, you mentioned Infiltrators using
> their additional movement when deploying from Drop Pods. WHY? I have never
> been able to figure this one out, I've seen it done within the pages of WD
> but it seems to make very little sense.
>
> My opponent suggested that perhaps these Infiltrators were never really in
> the Drop Pods and they just pop up out of where they were hiding to support
> the landing. Makes sense of a sort, but even he admits this is pretty thin.
> Anyone else have a better explanation?
>
> Also, deploying from Drop Pods aside, has anyone found a good way of using
> Infiltrators without them getting butchered? I usually fight against
> Tyranids, so Infiltrators are pretty much out anyway, but I still don't get
> them, if you see what I mean.

I only had one success with non-tyrannid infiltrators; scouts taking a
building with an opponents capture objective, and going on overwatch the
rest of the game. However, on later reflection, had he taken that
objective, I probably would have anighilated the troops with out detats.

I know, I deployed scouts out so that drop pods and bombers could not
get into my better units. Scouts make expensive fodder though.

I usually use bikes for my scouting and harrassment units now; they
redeploy faster and can get away better.

thane