RE: [Epic] IG and Planetary Assault Landings

From: J. Michael Looney <mlooney_at_...>
Date: Wed, 31 Dec 1997 08:21:51 -0600

-----Original Message-----
From: Alan E & Carmel J Brain [SMTP:aebrain_at_...]
Sent: Tuesday, December 30, 1997 7:44 AM
To: space-marine_at_...
Subject: Re: [Epic] IG and Planetary Assault Landings

Kelley, Kevin J., JCS wrote:

> Now as far as the EPIC IG doing a planetary landing - the recent
> Starship troopers would seem to be a pretty good palce to start. Think
> of it as a D D ay (Overlord) assault - some kind of landing vehicle for
> the infantry, specialized armor (Leman Russ with retro rockets, 1 on a
> D6 & they auger in (drop model from 45 cm & watch it bounce?) and maybe
> some IG assault squads that paracute in. Coupla oribital bombardment
> "fate" cards -

Love the Idea, but given the performance of the Duplex Drive (DD)
Shermans at Overlord, make that 1 and they _don't_ make a big hole. Or
just let them come in as normal reinforcements....

[Mike Looney]
Alan, the American DD Shermans did just fine. Also I am not sure that the
DD shemans are what you should compare against. The Air Landed Light Tanks
(which lost about 15% on landing [which would be 1 on 1D6 more or less])
would be the better thing to compare against. The light tanks were in
"Hamilcar" gliders. However given there over all usefullness on the
battle field, the Epic thing that would be closes would be the Razorback,
the Leman Russ.