Re: [Epic] Close Assault

From: Thane Morgan <thane_at_...>
Date: Thu, 01 Jan 1998 10:52:43 -0700

Matthew Sprange wrote:

> This is of particular importance as I am an Eldar playing constantly facing
> down Tyranids. When moving units into base to base contact, do you move
> them to the closest unengaged targets ( a la WH40K) or can you double up as
> you please. This virtually guarantees a Tyranid detachment can wipe out any
> one of mine, but it also means 4 units of Eldar assault troops can beat up a
> few Termagants and force a HUGE Tyranid detachment back. Strange.
>
> BTW, anyone else having trouble figuring the rules out for Infiltrators?
> And anyone found a decent use for them?

You can double up, within the normal rules for doubling up. We play that
you have to engage the closer members of the detat before moving deeper
into the ranks (not necessarily doubling up), but I don't think this is
in the rules.

Yeah, the close combat results are largely dissatisfying. You save no
time over the old system, you still end up rolling a die for each unit
in CC, but now you spend several minutes figuring out how to
artificially alter the results. The new ganging up rules reduce the
ability of infanty to get a ton of extra dice; I would have liked a
system closer to the old, using a system to calculate winner and loser
and BM's after all the hand to hand rolling had finished. With the new
titan damage system, the problems with 5 jetbikes killing a warlord
through extra dice would be eliminated.

Thane

Thane