Re: [Epic] Ahhh! An Imperator!

From: Thane Morgan <thane_at_...>
Date: Thu, 01 Jan 1998 11:35:01 -0700

Matthew Sprange wrote:

> The Imperator is a very hard target to take down. Take pity on my poor
> opponent who regularly takes Tyranids against me. The argument is that the
> Imperator is SO expensive (though cheaper than in the last edition of the
> rules) that it is presumed to be almost an army in itself. It follows that
> you would require a small army dedicated to bringing it down.
>
> I have never seen my Imperator destroyed, but in the interests of fairness,
> I have had many discussions with my opponent on how to bring this thing
> down - he also has a MAJOR problem in dealing with Eldar Phantom Titans.
>
> Close combat is an option, but you have to be able to get another titan
> armed with a close combat weapon that close - not an easy prospect. In
> truth, I have never faced an Imperator, but I would be reasonably confident
> in taking one down if I was playing with Eldar. Concentrate on Pulse Lasers
> and Flyers to bring the shields down (perhaps D-cannon to get some 'cheap'
> hits) and then use the awesome Engines of Vaul on pop up to deliver the
> killing blow.
>
> My heart goes out to armies like Tyranids who have very little firepower
> (which is easily suppressed by the Imperator) and need to be able to close
> quickly to then lose hundreds of lives desperately trying to get a lucky hit
> that just may cause the Imperator some annoyance.
>
> If we could widen this discussion just slightly, my opponent would be more
> than grateful if anyone could help his bugs destroy Imperators and Phantoms
> (not in the same game, obviously - we are not cheesemongers).
>
> >I am SO glad to hear THIS!!! Mine is on order from Mail-order.=) =)

He must use heirophants or heirodules, and use their ability to ignore
terrain to get several in CC with the emperator. Drop units of
genestealers as support, to keep assault companies from hurting it too
bad on the way.

Maybe genestealers dropping behind terrain near Imp. would work, but the
terrain would have to be just right. If he doesn't have the titans
though, staying out of its way until the end of the game may be a better
solution.

Thane