Re: [Epic] off topic:Wd leaderless?

From: Tim Sharrock <tjsharrock_at_...>
Date: Thu, 01 Jan 1998 23:25:30 GMT

On Thu, 01 Jan 1998 11:07:59 -0600, Sutherland <charles_at_...> wrote:
[...]
> I just keep getting
>the feeling that the people in charge over at GW have no interest in the
>hobby just the money that can get drained out of it in the shortest amount
>of time.

I obtained a copy of the Games Workshop Group PLC Annual Report for 1997.
Interesting reading, as it is aimed at a different audience to that of White
Dwarf (but it does have a White Dwarf on the back cover..., and various painted
models (Epic content: None :( )

The line I read from the report is "Continuing store opening programmes are in
place in the UK, USA, canada, France, Germany, Spain, Hong Kong and Australia
[...]. The board is committed to increasing shareholder value through the
development of the hobby worldwide". They would, of course, say that.

The final paragraph of the Review of Operations reads:
   "The outlook continues to be very good. As each year goes by our faith in the
hobby and the methods we use to introduce it to new enthusiasts around the world
is strengthened. The inexorable march to global domination goes on."

That is, perhaps a more unusual statement for an annual report!

Some numbers from the report:

Boxed games, plastic miniature and paints make up 29% of sales

Sales split:
   Independent Retailers 54% (last year 50%)
   GW Stores 38% (... 41%)
   Mail Order 8% (... 95)

   UK 36% (... 43%)

   144 GW shops (101 in UK)
   over 3450 independent retailers

Directors Emoluments
   THF Kirkby 323000 pounds (last year 277000)
   Total: 1255000 pounds (last Year 944000)

Employees:average over the year (last year)
   Production 327 (222)
   Selling & Distribution 713 (467)
   Admin. 161 (115)
   Total: 1201 (804)

Wages and Salaries (including Exec Directors)
   This Year 14884000 pounds (10765000)

therefore average Wage/salary is about 12,400 pounds.
If you exclude the directors this will fall somewhat
(probably about 5%)

ratio of Top emoluments to average wage = 26

THF Kirkby also sold half a million shares during the year
(about 20% of his holding).

Tim

--
Tim Sharrock   (tjsharrock_at_...)