Re: [Epic] IG and Planetary Assault Landings

From: Los <los_at_...>
Date: Thu, 01 Jan 1998 21:50:03 -0500

Actually a page from Soviet..uhh Russain airborne assaults.. The Russians
routinely airdrop tanks, mostly BMDs and ASU85s etc. While they do use
parachutes, they also have a sensor that hangs below teh rigged vehicle. When
it touches the ground, it sets off a braking rocket that's attached to the
parachute that provides some last second braking. Works pretty good. lot more
successful than US parachute and LAPES experiments (LAPES =LOW Altitude
Parachute Extraction System) I've personaly seen M551 Sheridans go tumbling
head over heels twice, and a full out fatal C130 crash trying to bring tanks
in that way.