Re: [Epic] Campaign Ideas.

From: Alun Gallie <gallie_at_...>
Date: Wed, 7 Jan 1998 09:35:20 +0930

>Hiya,
>
>one of Sauron's ideas has just turned into the following ....
>
>Ammo expenditure has been higher than expected, especially in artillery
>shells. Re supply from your home base has been very slow in coming. To
>rectify this you decide to raid a known enemy supply depot nearby as you
>approach the supply depot you realise that the enemy is resupplying. You
>attack.
>
>Special rules.
>
>Both sides choose forces with a value of 1000 points.
>
>The defender starts at the supply depot (use a few models)
>
>Any artillery piece or super heavy weapon (either side) must roll a dice
>after each time they fire. On a result of 5 or 6 they run out of ammo
>(batteries, whatever) and can not fire for the rest of the battle.
>
>Set up some objectives for the attacker and defender to represent capturing
>(or holding) the supply depot.
>
>Whoever wins the battle can resupply their forces for the next battle.
>
>The loser must roll as above for each weapon with artillery or each super
>heavy weapon (as given above) in the next major battle.
>
>I was going to do something for fuel as well but it would probably be a bit
>fiddly.
>
>Any thoughts ????
>
>Chris.

Not bad mate, but I think the result is just a little harsh, if we are
sticking to a Minor effect on the next magor battle especially when there
may be two or three of these minor effects. Maybe I'm just being a devils
advocate but think of it in terms of my Squats. I have a 33% chance of
losing each artillary piece and warengine (effectively) for the rest of the
game on turn 1 ? If I had my usual luck with dice that would be the game all
over red rover in turn 1. Remember I have no 'ordinary tanks or armour' and
nothing bar Robots with a range over 30 that is not artillary or SHW. I was
thinking of a similar scenario but with the outcome that artillary has its
fire rate cut in half. IE normal artillary can only fire every second turn,
Seige every forth (maybe third) or you could use your idea but on a six
instead of a five or six. or use 5 or 6 but it just means it cann't fire
that turn.
As for fuel, maybe put a limit on points that can be spent on
vehicles/warengines. It would mean we would have to look at our old army
list to work out roughly what % we normally spend and then reduce that by 10
to 15 %. For example we average it out, find that on average between us we
spend 80% on vehicles/WE then the loser of the fuel battle is restricted to
65 - 70 % following game.
Cheers
Alun