Re: [Epic] IG infantry detachments

From: J. Michael Looney <mlooney_at_...>
Date: Thu, 08 Jan 1998 13:48:02 -0600

Los wrote:

> J. Michael Looney wrote:
>
> > Please do not become confused by the fact that US, like most other
> > countries, has an over all command level (The Department of Defense)
> > controlling its military forces. The US has 4 military forces, only
> > one
> > of which (the Navy) is lacking in Colonels.
>
> I don't get what the point of your statement is as it relates to IG
> detachments. I'm not trying to be a wiseass, just confused. Should
> Colonels report to Captians (in the same branch?) as the original post
> suggested? Regardless of what Capatins and Colonels are called by the
> various branches of the US military, they are all grade O-6 which makes
> them equal in rank.

1) No Colonels do not report to Captains.2) Out side of the Navy, Captains
are O-3, not O-6. They are not the same rank.

> The question is, by some weird quirk of protocol is an O-6 in the
> Imperial Guard called a "Captain" in the future and an O-3 called a
> "Colonel"?

No. The IG "Supreme Commander" is a Colonel. The first poster on this got
commissar and colonel sort of inter mixed and my rant button went off.
In all the GW fluff on the IG they appear to be following the "normal" flow
for ranks. Lieutenant -> Captain -> Colonel.

This is getting way off the point. The original post with the line draw
TO&E would be just fine if the all copies of the word "Colonel" were
replaced with "lieutenant"