Re: [Epic] Unrealistic Close Assault

From: Thane Morgan <thane_at_...>
Date: Thu, 08 Jan 1998 20:21:51 -0700

Francois Bruntz wrote:

> Tu as �crit :
>
> >Actually, I think is should be something like a certian fraction of
> >the units needs to be engaged. Like a quarter or something.
> > Or maybe
> >a unit that is engaged with under a x% of it's units auto rallys
> >at the end of the turn.
>
> > This is something else I was thinking of. Guard Orders. A
>unit that
> >is on guard orders will attempt to intercept close assaults. (Sort of
> >like snap fire.) The guard unit may move up to it's full assault move
> >and (or maybe full move or something) and engages the assaulters
> >before they reach the first unit. CC is resolved normally. Just a
> >thought.
>
> Yes, I like this solution, it can be a way to prevent ulrealistic
> situations : I will try to test it.
>
> Francois Bruntz
> Apprenti MIAGE (Universite Paris XII - IBM France)
> I think what I like the least about the CC system is the fact
detachments can't support each other, so you're stuck putting not
necessarily compatible units together in order to defend yourself;
example:
My LR Detats generally have 5-8 LRs, 3 predators and one tac squad per
non command LR. This unit has yet to break, however, their have been
lots of times where I would have liked to leave the tanks or infantry
behind so the other group could go acheive something when CC was not
likely (or I wanted the infantry to press). It can also suck when you
lose a few transports, slowing down the whole unit. If any detat could
defend its buddies, you'd have better control of your forces; you could
make infantry CC defense detats to guard your vulnerable tanks when
needed, or could have them break off on their own or hold a position.
Thats one of the things I liked about SM/TL detats; though preset in
points and unit size, they did offer a more realistic flexibility.

Truthfully, I think CC has way too much emphasis in the game. They had
to create a wholly artificial Assualt phase to allow troops from to
attack from cover without taking a shot on the way in, and then escape
afterwards without taking a shot. Anyone who close assaulted MY LRs in
SM was going to be wasted by advance fire in the aftermath.

Thane