Re: Sv: [Epic] Casualties

From: Thane Morgan <thane_at_...>
Date: Thu, 08 Jan 1998 19:07:14 -0700

Sauron Moridor wrote:

> Sauron1 writes;
>
> I have found that (Fresh out of the bag) clumping cat litter, mixed
> with white glue makes excellent craters. a little blackwash in the
> centre and grassed around the pictureframe card base looks great and you
> can make dozens from a small bag.
>
> sauron1I used the same to base the ruins that come with the main box. I painted
them black and dry brushed lighter three or for times to get a nice
burned out look. I also cut some of the ruins up to place on their sides
inside of the building for collapsed walls.

I'm stuck on opened cell styrofoam (as opposed to closed cell, the stuff
they may insualting containers from). This can be found at hobbie
stores, but I dont know what its real use is. Maybe dried flower
arrangements. In any event, this stuff holds a shape well and is more
durable than closed cell, but its a bitch to paint. I either flock the
foam, then paint the flock (use a really water mix, and allow it to dry
overnight. It comes out really hard). I've made excellent cliff edges
this way.

The other way of close the cells on the surface is a mix of 50% elmers,
25% water and 25%flour. Paint can also be mixed in. This seals it in one
or two coats, and gives a nice sandstone looking surface for natural
rocks or a concrete/adobe look to buildings. I made a cool peice of
arches and arroyo terrain this way (for Chronopia, mostly), and hope to
do a set of modular cave interiors with it.

Thane

Thane