Re: [Epic] Rough Riders

From: J. Michael Looney <mlooney_at_...>
Date: Thu, 15 Jan 1998 13:04:45 -0600

Andy Skinner wrote:

> J. Michael Looney wrote:
> >
> > Steve Sheldon wrote:
> > > I don't think the IG bikes should be as good as SM, therefore the
> > > points
> > > seem justified, Also, ork bikes have 45cm range, Eldar have 40cm move
> > > with the skimmer ability. Bikes aren't that good, but they are good at
> > > getting out to objectives and firefighting.
> >
> > I don't have your original post in front of me right now, but your stats
> > were BETTER than the SM, and the unit was cheaper. This does not
> > parse. An assult value of 4 is way over the top for bikes in E40K
>
> Mike L, you misread his post.
>
> Here's your message from earlier, quoting his (note the assault value):

Opps. I hate it when that happens. Remove all rants about mega assault IG
Bikers.Remind me to not rant in the early hours of the morning. Like that is
going to stop me.....

But while I am at it:
<rant>
Some people have been talking that the "Large Rough Riders Detachments" are why
the +50 points _SHOULD_ be in place for IG detachments. To which I reply "What
are you on?" Lets look at "By the Book" Imperial forces.

1) a maxed out RR detachment
3 command RR _at_ 36 pts each total of 108 pts
9 grunt RR _at_ 10 pts total of 90 pts
9 Hell hounds _at_ 12 pts total of 108 pts
Detachment total 306 pts

2) SM Bikers (12 bikers, 9 Vindicators)
HQ +25 pts
8 squads _at_ 1 bike each (80 pts)
1 squad _at_ 3 bikes (30 pts)
9 Vindicators (198 pts)
Detachment total 333 points

Ok, the IG is more or less cheaper, but not that much cheaper.

Now if we take the close support tanks out of the loop we get:
1) a maxed out RR detachment
3 command RR _at_ 36 pts each total of 108 pts
9 grunt RR _at_ 10 pts total of 90 pts
Detachment total 198 pts

2) SM Bikers (12 bikers, 9 Vindicators)
HQ +25 pts
4 squads _at_ 3 bike each (30 pts) (120 pts total)
145 points

The stats line for SM bikers is:
35 cm 15 cm 1 2 4+
The stats for RR is (after adjustments for Cav and Assault)
20 cm 15 cm 1 2 4+

This means that in the case of scouting units for the Imperial forces, the better
detachment (SM Bikes) is cheaper. The only way that the SM can cost more is if
they add in the Captain and Librarian, which brings it up to a whopping 205 pts.
This is why, in many of the list opinion why we need a "Project Guard".