Re: [Epic] Rough Riders

From: J. Michael Looney <mlooney_at_...>
Date: Thu, 15 Jan 1998 13:33:08 -0600

Dirk Vormann wrote:

> This IG det even gets more Psykers than Marines.
> I encountered this during testing.

If you are going to use the WD where they point out the RR can be taken as
support, please ALSO use the Q&A where they say that RR don't get Psykers.

A simple fix for the ungodly amount of support is to limit support in the
"Captain + 3 Lts." style detachment to 1 support slot per officer, which is
what I used in the Infantry detachment for Project Guard.

In the "real world" having a squad or a single vehicle attached to a platoon
as support makes a limited amount of sense, and is in fact done quite often.
Have another full platoon attached is, at best, odd.

The best that this detachment is going to get is 51 assault value, with no
Psyker support.

This unit has a 20+30 (if it makes it into contact) range for the with the
tanks have a 20+20 range, which places them in support range

The SM unit, with stubborn units with better armor has a 35+35 assault range,
with the tanks moving at 25+25, which would, of course put them out of range,
but if you move the bikes 5-10 cm slower per movement the tanks WILL be in
range. The SM detachment can move 50 cm per turn, on assault orders and stay
together. The barely cheaper IG detachment can move 40 cm per turn, assuming
it doesn't get in to HTH. The limiting factor in using either of these 2
detachments is the speed of the tanks. The SM tanks are better armored and
faster.

If I were the type person that built units based on point cost vs game value,
I would NEVER make large detachments of Rough Riders.
As it so happens I have more RR minis than I do SM bikes, at least unit I
find a good non-GW heavy bike in either 6 mm or 10 mm scale.
My current thought is German Kitterands, but I think I will be using those
for Orks.

Lets look at a "Pure RR" detachment, taken at max.
3 RR command 108 pts
9 RR Grunts 90 pts (Main line)
9 RR Grunts 90 pts (support)
Total 288 pts.

The SM Bikers
+25 command
7 squads of 3 bikes each (210 pts)
Total 235 pts

Damn, the better detachment is still cheaper.