Re: [Epic] EPIC40k Rumor (Control)

From: Brett Hollindale <agro_at_...>
Date: Thu, 13 Feb 1997 11:27:48 GMT

At 09:17 AM 12/2/97 -0600, Temp wrote:
>At 02:16 PM 2/12/97 +0800, you wrote:
>
>>>CC not only represents hand-to-hand fighting, but also short range firing
>>>_in_a_supporting_role_. As Jervis has said losers in CC will lose ground,
>>>automatically breaking off combat (probably to be charged again next
>>>turn.) Also see my comments on bases and psykers for more on CC.
>>>

>>The losers will break, but not die ? Obviously I am missing something, but
>>not quite sure what it is. Could you clarify it to me more.
>
>I have a problem with not killing them. You see, in modern combat (what
>this is based on) assault is a deciding factor. Either you overrun the
>enemy, causing massive casualties, or one of you retreats, and takes massive
>casualties. You don't fall back and simultaneously prevent casualties. You
>don't fall back and maintain any sort of unit cohesion. It's too late for
>that. You die in droves. Period.

Once you're in HTH, I agree, but isn't it possible to see a horde of 50 guys
storming your 5 man bunker and bug out before they get there?

But I agree that CC works fine (and simulates real combat pretty well) the
way it is. Changing it to what has been mooted by rumour control sounds
pretty awful IMHO...

(For the record, I'm not a soldier but I do a lot of full contact medieval
combat - hand to hand combat supported by arrow fire - and recon that I know
a thing or two about assaulting armies in CC...)

Agro