[Epic] EPIC40k Rumor (Control)

From: King Mob <heresy_at_...>
Date: Thu, 6 Feb 1997 21:16:48 -0600 (CST)

"This is Rumor Control and these are the facts."

New Bases:

The new alignment of the bases will have at _most_ two effects on your
gameplay. 1) If you have old style bases you prolly can't play in an
official GW tourney. 2) Setting up screens to block charging units from
reaching your back ranks will be easier with the wider infantry bases.

The new bases will _not affect CC because you will only be allowed to gang
up on a regular infantry or vehicle with a maximum of _two_ units. It
doesn't matter how they touch or where they touch, you only get 2 max.

There will be no modifiers for shooting or cover for infantry due to their
base configuration. Think about it... why would they have rules for old
bases to be different if they want everyone to buy new bases?

Epic40k vs. 40k:

Epic40k will be an entirely _new_ system. In fact old Epic is closer to
the 40k rules than the new system. It is my belief that the whole reason
that GW is trying to "tie in" to 40k is because there are a hell of a lot
of people playing 40k and if they can get some people to cross over then
that's more money.

Characters and Psykers:

Characters and psykers will take a much _less_ prominent role in the new
system compared to the old. Psykers will only provide a small bonus to CC
and the use of an offensive blast using special one shot cards (like the
strategy cards in 40k). Although I can't say about personalities, an
example of a character is the Army Commander who will have a fixed save,
and allow failed morale tests to be rerolled and and a fair bonus to CC,
_that's_all_.

Close Combat:

CC not only represents hand-to-hand fighting, but also short range firing
_in_a_supporting_role_. As Jervis has said losers in CC will lose ground,
automatically breaking off combat (probably to be charged again next
turn.) Also see my comments on bases and psykers for more on CC.

Any more rumors? Feel free to ask, Rumor Control is here. No fear too
great, no concern too small.

Paul R. Tobia _O_
"What good is science if no one |
gets hurt?" - Chrome Dome