Re: [Epic] EPIC40k Rumor (Control)

From: <duckrvr_at_...>
Date: Thu, 13 Feb 1997 09:14:13 -0600

At 11:27 AM 2/13/97 +0000, you wrote:

>>I have a problem with not killing them. You see, in modern combat (what
>>this is based on) assault is a deciding factor. Either you overrun the
>>enemy, causing massive casualties, or one of you retreats, and takes massive
>>casualties. You don't fall back and simultaneously prevent casualties. You
>>don't fall back and maintain any sort of unit cohesion. It's too late for
>>that. You die in droves. Period.
>
>Once you're in HTH, I agree,

You don't need to be in hth. Short range also works when you have missile
weapons.

>but isn't it possible to see a horde of 50 guys
>storming your 5 man bunker and bug out before they get there?

That would be moving back before cc occurs

>But I agree that CC works fine (and simulates real combat pretty well) the
>way it is. Changing it to what has been mooted by rumour control sounds
>pretty awful IMHO...

I actually like the suppression idea. Let me explain a basic tactic . . .
roughly 1/2 to 1/3 of your firepower is used to pin the enemy in place. In
the Marine Corps it is usually the machine gun section and support at
company level, a squad (preferably reinforced) at platoon level, or a fire
team (hopefully reinforced) at squad level. This is referred to as the
"base of fire." The remaining force, referred to as the "maneuver element",
flanks the enemy and approaches them for the assault. On a predetermined
signal (most units have an SOP default signal) the base of fire shifts fire
away form the assaulting element, but keeps firing at the far end of the
enemy position. This makes noise and suppresses the enemy that are not
being currently assaulted. As the maneuver element sweeps across the target
the cease fire command is given to the base fo fire and the assault element
finishes the enemy off. Simple and devastatingly effective when
well-coordinated.

SO, after all that, the idea of using effective suppression is a good one,
and realistic in my opinion.

>(For the record, I'm not a soldier but I do a lot of full contact medieval
>combat - hand to hand combat supported by arrow fire - and recon that I know
>a thing or two about assaulting armies in CC...)
>
>Agro

I used to do SCA stuff, too. It is lots easier to run from a bunch of guys
with swords and a bunch of bowmen than it is to run from automatic weapons.

Temp