Re: [Epic] Khorne Berserkers

From: <duckrvr_at_...>
Date: Thu, 13 Feb 1997 09:12:46 -0600

At 05:24 PM 2/12/97 -0500, you wrote:

>Khorne Berzerkers are Chaos Space Marines that have dedicated themselves
>to the Chaos God Khorne. They live only for battle and charge into combat
>chanting their famous war cry "Blood for the Blood God". Khorne
>Berzerkers are normally bought in detachments of five stands.
>
>Stats:
>
>Move Save CAF WPNS Range AD HIT SAVE MOD Notes
>10cm none +5 Bolt pistols 25cm 1 5+ 0 see below
>
>Mark of Khorne:
>All Khorne Berzerkers are blessed with the Mark of Khorne. This means that
>they are subject to frenzy. The effect of this in epic is to increase
>their CAF (from +3 to +5) and to increase their morale value (from 2+ to
>1+).
>
>Furious Charge:
>Such is the ferocious enthusiasm of Khorne Berzerkers to get to grips with
>the enemy that they triple their move when they charge instead of only
>doubling it (for a total charge of 30cm). However, each stand can only
>use this bonus if it allows it to get into hand-to-hand combat that turn.
>The tripled charge move may not be used by stands that are not able to
>reach the enemy!

>KHORNE BERZERKER DETACHMENT
>
>A Khorne Berzerker detachment of Chaos Marines consists of five stands of
>Chaos Marine infantry.
>
>Points Value 150
>
>Back of Card:
>

>KHORNE BERZERKER DETACHMENT
>
>Break Point 3: The Detachment is broken once it has lost 3 stands.
>
>MORALE VALUE 1: Khorne Berzerkers must roll 1 or more on a d6 to pass
>their morale check.
>
> VICTORY POINTS 2
>Your opponent gains 2 VPs when the detachment is broken.
>
>In putting the stats together I looked at what the unit does in 40k (great
>H-H) and then looked at other units in Epic, the unit that this closely
>approximates is the Juggernaught. Both are 150 pts, come in detachments
>of five and have a +5 CAF. The Juggernaughts beat out the Berzerkers in
>that the Juggernaught can always charge 30 cm (it has a base of 15cm) and
>will always complete its charge (a BIG advantage). The Juggernaught
>also has a save of 5+ v. the Berzerkers having no save. The Berzerkers
>have a little better ranged attacked (hits on a 5+ v. the Juggers 6+) and
>have the advantage of being infantry (move in any terrain, ride in
>vehicles, Chaos Cards). Probably the Berzerkers aren't as good a deal as
>the Juggers, maybe another +1 CAF. I usually prefer to come in a little
>low on the power scale for new units and then see what everyone else
>thinks. So, what does everyone else think?

I think this is much more powerful than the World Eaters Marines' current
Stats. I don't think that comparison with Juggers is a valid one. Look at
what it is compared to the current space marines. You've basically taken a
detachment of space marines and given them the ability to use the chaos gift
an unlimited number of times. In addition, you've given them better close
combat. At this point they have become monstrously tough cc troops that
can ride in rhinos and _thawks_. For 50 more points (2 det = 300) they are
considerably better than minotaurs - almost the same caf, great morale,
better move, and the (admittedly unlikely) possibility of using a ranged
attack. Putting them in a thawk is going ot be roughly equivalent to
putting a detachment of bloodclaws and a chaplain in a thawk (remember, the
ability to play chaos cards should balance the chaplain) for fewer points.
Plus it has some wicked combination possibilities, like playing the "Long
Legs" card and having them charge 60cm.

Temp