Re: [Epic] Cheddar & Edam

From: Scott Shupe <shupes_at_...>
Date: Thu, 29 Jan 1998 10:17:04 -0500

Francois Bruntz wrote:

> I assume that SP means Space Marines.
> In Epic Space Marine/Titan Legions, mixing IG and SM is really cheesy as
> the two armies excel in two different strategies : roughly SM are very
> good in fast assaults

        I wouldn't really say this is true, especially considering
that the IG have Rough Rider, Assault troop, and (very cheap) bike
companies available to them. Rather, the SM advantage over IG in
SM/TL is that (1) the space marines actually have transports, which
means you can actually get them where you want them, and (2) the
space marines had much better CAF and morale, allowing them to
potentially fight off close assaults on their position and to fight
to the last man if neccessary.

        Your statement is more true in E40k, where the IG no longer
have jump pack-equipped troops or bike squads.

> and IG has a very good fire power (strong
> artillery) but each army could be fielded independantly without any
> restriction.

        They could... but a pure SM army was pretty damn boring.
The only non-infantry company available was the LR company... not
a lot of diversity there. I don't blame anyone for not playing
a pure SM army (plus I find it strange to see 1/2 of a chapter on
the board for a single battle, knowing that most of the marines
will be dead by the end, win or lose).

> In Epic 40k, this is not true. You can field an IG only army (or a SM
> one) but the two armies are complementary : for example, the SM don't
> have any artillery (save the Whirlinds)

        This was also true in SM/TL.

> and no flak unit (which is a
> very important lack).

        This was also true in SM/TL. The armies have always been
somewhat complementary, and I'd have to say mixing them in E40k
is more 'cheesy' than it ever was in SM/TL (I don't really think
that it's cheesy in either version, but you definitely get more
out of mixing the two forces in E40k - higher strategy rating, the
hardest troops in the game, the best tanks in the game, the best
arty in the game, etc etc).

Scott Shupe
shupes_at_... shupes@... http://www.rpi.edu/~shupes
"Omigod! The dead have risen and they're voting Republican!" - the
Simpsons