Re: [Epic] Q&A suggestion: (was] Cheddar & Edam)

From: Andy Skinner <askinner_at_...>
Date: Fri, 30 Jan 1998 07:57:33 -0500

Thane Morgan wrote:
> Plus you would end up with ground pounders in some cases moving faster
> than their mech. infantry counterparts during a turn. This is just an
> ugly artifact of the crappy artificial "assault phase" Chambers had to
> add to allow assault troops to get into combat unmolested. Let's face
> it, in all but the most cluttered battlefields infantry would be chewed
> up long before they got into hand to hand. Even flying from trees 50
> yards in front of your squad, you'd get tons of fire before they got
> to you. Yet at least a third of the casualties in this game come from
> hand to hand weapons.

I think that the phases actually improve the situation of shooting at
assaulters. In SM2, they got to charge during the movement phase, and
the only things that could shoot at them were snap-fire units or the
specific models they charged, if on first-fire. The new way, they have
to stop somewhere along the way. Of course, shooting ranges are
shorter,
and infantry can move further total if they get into contact. Still,
if I had stayed with SM2, I would have considered adding an assault
phase.

andy

--
Andy Skinner