RE: [Epic] 1000 pt Space Marine Army For Review - Thanks Chris!

From: Sean Robert Smith <lab_user_at_...>
Date: Thu, 5 Feb 1998 12:27:18 +1200

>> BTW, no I haven't created the Guardians of Sol yet, but stayed tuned!
>> The Battle Born did get to keep their red armor however. And if you
>> can rememember those two games, I'm impressed. :)
>>
>--------> Hey, "Battle Born" cut it down to the essence of roleplaying
>for my group - "We get powered armor? For free? and we don't have to
>mess with all that other stuff?" - We're 40K players from way back...
>
>> Force Nygren (253 pts)
>>
>> 1 x Captain w/Jump Pack
>> 1 x Librarian w/Jump Pack
>> 2 x Assault Squad (2 units ea) w/Jump Pack
>> 4 x Land Speeder
>> 2 x Bike Squad (1 unit ea)

The problem with this detachment , in my view, is that you are combining
units with different functions and speed. I would have pure bike detachment
myself, much better nipping round the enemies flanks. Landspeeders

>--------Now THAT's mobile...
>> Force Bjornsen (337 pts)
>>
>> 1 x Captain w/Rhino
>> 2 x Devastator Squad (2 units ea) w/Rhino
>> 2 x Terminator Squad (1 unit ea) w/Land Raider
>> 3 x Whirlwind
>>
>------> If you want to really annoy other people, make sure the termies
>are out in front so their save can prevent a few extra hits...

I am not keen on the above detachment. I would have a pure devastor
detachment in rhinos, without the captain. This way the rhinos aren't
slowed down by the speed of the landraiders. This allows you devastors to
move 25cm dismount and fire. That means you can hit an enemy within 55cm of
devastors. If the enemy attempts to assault you devastors they can hop in
the rhinos, move back 25cm and still get full fire power. I would have the
terminators and land raiders has separate detachment. The only time the
fire and move tactic is when you are facing eldar jump troops, that can
move 45cm in the assault phase.

>> Force Olafsen (397 pts)
>>
>> 1 x Librarian w/Rhino
>> 4 x Tactical Squad (2 units ea) w/Rhino
>> 4 x Land Raider
>> 2 x Scout Squad (1 unit ea)
>>
>> Total: 987 pts
>>
>These look pretty good. Let us know how they do.
>
>Chris Miller

I don't see the point having the scouts, they just slow the rest of the
detachment down.

Overall comments.

It would been much more helpful if you could have let me know the type of
oppent you intended to use this army against. The main problem is the
combining of troop types with different speeds and functions in the same
detachment. I find that reasonably 'pure' detachment work best with
space-marines.

Betty-Ann Kelly
bk2_at_...