Re: [Epic] Uncheesy detachments

From: Scott Shupe <shupes_at_...>
Date: Sun, 08 Feb 1998 20:52:22 -0500

Miller, Chris wrote:

> > Who loathes army cards? I've never heard anyone ever
> > complain about them in the past...
> >
> ---------> I remember quite a few posts early on when E40K came out
> where people did nothing but dis the cards. Hasn't come up recently, but
> a lot of those people are gone or at least calmed down...

        OK, JML refreshed my memory... So I have heard someone
complain about the army cards...

> (I thought you were one of the holdouts and thought SM/TL was better
> etc.?)

        I think they're both great games. But, E40k fixed a
lot of what I felt was wrong with SM/TL and is more easily
modifiable than SM/TL, so deep down I probably consider it to
be a better game overall.

> > > For most armies, the 1 special card per company card and max of 5
> > > support cards per company card with prechosen unit sizes on each
> > card
> > > prevented a cheese-out.
> >
> > Hooey. Specials were somewhat limited, but I've never
> > seen anyone have problems with running out of support slots.
>
> -------> That's what I really hate about Scott's posts - it's so
> hard to tell what he's thinking...pick a side,man!!!

        I'm on the side of fairness! Well, that and I enjoy
playing devil's advocate... =)

> BUT - under E40K I can take 10 Thawks as a seperate unit,
> Deathstrikes too. Abuses were possible under the old system (OK),

        Aha! =)

> but
> here I just didn't see them as much. Maybe it was the way things were
> grouped - I really think having to buy a company card controlled a lot
> of this abuse as if I had a spare 300 points I couldn't just add in 5
> more deathstrikes - I had to find a slot for them and buy them in groups
> of 3.

        True. OTOH, there is no detriment to taking companies
(just the opposite really), and the folks around me at least
would take armies that 80-100% of which were companies... so
fitting in lots of powerful support units was never a problem.
So in my experience anyway, you'd be right but people never
took a lot of support units anyway and so had plenty of room
for the powerful or underpriced ones.

        Also, there are cheesy companies, upon which there are
zero restrictions... the titan BGs come to mind here. It's
pretty damn silly when a single warlord costs you 900 points
and a special slot while THREE warlords costs you 1500 points
and GIVES you a special slot (and 5 more support slots). Some
would stick the Wind Rider Host in this category as well, but
ever since TL allowed you to shoot at them in CC I think their
value plummeted tremendously.

> > > I like the flexibilty of the new
> > > system but it's certainly open to abuse.
> >
> > As was the old system.
> >
> --------> Still don't think it's as "twistable" as the old one...

        Ah, I didn't realize we were talking degrees... =)

Scott Shupe
shupes_at_... shupes@... http://www.rpi.edu/~shupes
"Ia! Ia! Cthulgu fhtagn!"