Cards WAS Re: [Epic] Uncheesy detachments

From: COOK MATTHEW JOHN <PBS4661_at_...>
Date: Mon, 9 Feb 1998 17:59:53 +0000

On 8 Feb 98 at 20:52, Scott Shupe wrote:

> Miller, Chris wrote:
> >
> > > Who loathes army cards? I've never heard anyone ever
> > > complain about them in the past...

I have heard and can understand why some people complain.

> > ---------> I remember quite a few posts early on when E40K came out
> > where people did nothing but dis the cards. Hasn't come up recently, but
> > a lot of those people are gone or at least calmed down...
>
> OK, JML refreshed my memory... So I have heard someone
> complain about the army cards...
>
> > (I thought you were one of the holdouts and thought SM/TL was better
> > etc.?)
>
> I think they're both great games. But, E40k fixed a
> lot of what I felt was wrong with SM/TL and is more easily
> modifiable than SM/TL, so deep down I probably consider it to
> be a better game overall.

Not played E40k enough to judge.

> > > card
> > >
> > > Hooey. Specials were somewhat limited, but I've never
> > > seen anyone have problems with running out of support slots.

Ork players did run out of support, I was allways running out. Also
didn't want to bolster to much with Mega Gargant clans as my oponnent
was killing them far to easily. I was normally trying to increase
break points with low points support as well. Being able to field
seperate support units would have allowed me to play more pulsa
rokkits, stompers etc.
Also note I normally had loads of special cards slots in large games
only ever filled them in very small games and didn't play to many of
them.

> > BUT - under E40K I can take 10 Thawks as a seperate unit,
> > Deathstrikes too. Abuses were possible under the old system (OK),
>
> Aha! =)
>
> > but
> > here I just didn't see them as much. Maybe it was the way things were
> > grouped - I really think having to buy a company card controlled a lot
> > of this abuse as if I had a spare 300 points I couldn't just add in 5
> > more deathstrikes - I had to find a slot for them and buy them in groups
> > of 3.
>
> True. OTOH, there is no detriment to taking companies
> (just the opposite really), and the folks around me at least
> would take armies that 80-100% of which were companies...

My opponent did this frequently with Marines/IG. I think they did a
lot but not so much other races (didnt experience Tryanids or Chaos
so cant comment on them).
It did annoy me sometimes with no easy units to break and him hardly
ever suffering Command problems allthough my clans usually had V High
Break point to Victory point ratios.

> fitting in lots of powerful support units was never a problem.
> So in my experience anyway, you'd be right but people never
> took a lot of support units anyway and so had plenty of room
> for the powerful or underpriced ones.
>
> Also, there are cheesy companies, upon which there are
> zero restrictions... the titan BGs come to mind here. It's
> pretty damn silly when a single warlord costs you 900 points
> and a special slot while THREE warlords costs you 1500 points
> and GIVES you a special slot (and 5 more support slots). Some
> would stick the Wind Rider Host in this category as well, but
> ever since TL allowed you to shoot at them in CC I think their
> value plummeted tremendously.

> > > As was the old system.
> > >
> > --------> Still don't think it's as "twistable" as the old one...
>
> Ah, I didn't realize we were talking degrees... =)
The main problem I found with cards was allways rounding VP's and
BP's.
Never tried working out total clan BP's and VP's doubled then
dividing by 2 which could have reduced problem for me but cant do
that easily for marines.
Could have doubled all points costs I suppose. That would have
removed all fifty point cards, then target would also be doubled and
so would value of objectives. You would still have break points
with rounding tho.

Anyway if most of us are now playing 40k is no longer relevent, so I
will stop boring everyone and sign of for the day.

       *** THE COOKIE MONSTER RETURNS ***
AKA: Ghaz,Ghazgkull,Mat,Sparrow,Cookie,Walter Tatum,
     Alberto Giovanni,Damien Black