Re: Squat Army WAS Re: [Epic] Knights(Lil' bit off topic)

From: Mark A Shieh <SHODAN+_at_...>
Date: Mon, 9 Feb 1998 14:23:53 -0500 (EST)

Los <los_at_...> writes:
> Thane Morgan wrote:
>
> > However, this is still not the same as Wargaming point values; they
> > are
> > based on a relative combat effectiveness of the whole unit, as opposed
> >
> > to monetary cost.
>
> These guys don't even have a 2:1
> effectiveness over the lowliest of guardsman. Even in terms of
> performance, There's not much to show for a decade of training and
> enhancement. Space Marines and I.G both move just 10cm, A space marines
> does achive a 30% effectiveness bonus in Assault (+2). Both attack with
> one die. Both have a +5 to save dr. The marines have a 50cm range vs a
> 25 cm range. This is in great part due to the fact they are firing
> bolters.

        It has nothing to do with bolters. It has to do with the
Heavy carrying a Lascannon that gives them effective fire out to 50cm.
Also, the IG save is 3+, unless I'm thinking of something else. In
Epic, small arms fire just doesn't amount to much except in assault.
There's no reason for a Marine to move faster than 10cm, since he's
just a human slogging it out on foot.
        He fights 3 times as well (3 assault vs. 1), wears armor and
is naturally toughened, so he ignores half the gunfire that would kill
a Guardsman (5+ armor vs. 3+ armor), is stubborn, and shoots
incredibly well if they sit still (Rapid Fire). Sounds pretty good
for training and some new organs to me. My Eldar have been training
for centuries, and they only have a save of 4+, an assault of 4, and
none of the special abilities and underpriced powers that makes the
Marines so popular to play. :) (I know, there's good stuff in my army
list too.)
        What more could you possibly want out of a well-trained
trooper? He's already got the same armor as a tank, much better
offensive capabilities (better assault, rapid fire), and has very good
morale (stubborn). Apart from Infiltration (for a larger command
area), I can't think of anything that could conceivably be added as a
result of training, besides wearing some animal skins to make
themselves cheesier for no apparent reason.

> So you churn out a number of IG squads vs a few Space Marines squads. I
> don't see where this ten years of training and preparation is paying
> off.

        The stat line is where you see it.

> Of course any really detailed or close look at the
> 40k universe always leads to some unraveling of logic.

        Yup. No argument here.

Mark